Kona Canti brakes and levers

These were rubbish, cables would pull through and levers would hit the bars resulting in a trouser filling moment. Luckily Shimano came out with the V brake and this rubbish went straight in the bin.

I'm a bit pissed off now though as I could of sold them to some retro mug who doesn't know any better!

I think not being able to stop is part of the excitement of riding retro. And as for that feeling you've just sat in a warm cottage pie, it's something you get used to at my age.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to use a for sale thread to slate what is probally the 'standard' brake set up on a retrobike is a little odd.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=257170 is an interesting thread. In particular-

Problem with Cantis is that its all in the set up, badly set up ones are next to useless. Well set up ones perform as well as discs (in the dry). And you need to be on top of it all the time. V-Brakes are pretty much fit and forget. Ditto discs.

Sorry, just brought back bad memories, tried alloy bolts, Ti bolts, stainless bolts, threadlock, superglue, locktite. In desperation took it to my LBS, still didn't solve the problem, so ditched them, bought XT V brakes when they first came out and was well pleased and never looked back.

They must have been a Friday afternoon job or something, anyway but me off cantis for life, managed to scramble my way to the bank, frightened the wits out me mum and dad, you can bet they made sure I never bought cantis again after that.

Latest posts

Back