what helmet?

exlabman

Retro Newbie
Hi,
my helmet was unfashionable when Noah was a lad.
I'd like a new on but the choice is staggering.
Asda are selling Bell helmets for £14 or you can pay many more pounds for specialized and the like in a bike shop.
As a paramedic I want one that is going to be of some use when I bounce down the road on my head. All seem to have CE marks so what is the difference, style, weight, personal preference?

Please can you steer me in the right direction for something decent for a budget conscious/tight person.

Cheers
D

I have just bought a gt avalanche helmet for 32 quid which is of the newer style with the longer rear section to protect the nape of the neck. cant vouch for it as it hasn't arrived yet but seemed like a decent price, bearing in mind all helmets are basically expanded foam with a plastic shell then the price is reflected in the design such as fit, ventilation, the way its adjustable ect. bell used to be good bitd but I wouldn't really want to spend less than 30 quid on something I want to protect my bonce, not that there's a lot to protect. secondly I bought a full face 661 from crc for 48 quid on offer, pretty much to protect my exceedingly good looks whilst getting 'rad' off road... or something

i had a 661 recon stealth for a while great helmet and not too expensive think it was about £60
now got a bell nice and light but hard to do the clip with one hand

As I said I want to get something decent but if the cheap ones conform to the same standards then what is the extra money for the others going on?
what is different about a £50 lid over a £20
Happy to spend the money if there is a reason but not for the label.

Cheers
D

oooh this could get interesting.
the last helmet thread went for 23 pages.
any helmet is better than none.
but get the one that is most comfortable for your budget.
i got a giro hex, good all round protection for most off road riding.
and nice & comfy.

like I said, the price goes onto things like research for aerodynamics, cooling, the adjustability (or ease of), the quality of the build, comfort, the material the pads are made from and so on.

Having trawled round Halfords and Evans trying on just about every helmet going I settled on the Bell Slant...

...comfortable and stylish for a bit over 30 notes online; what more could you want? :cool:

Back