Raleigh Technium Peak 88 (XT)

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
88 was the first year Raleigh made Technium mtbs. The Peak was top of the range - there was also the Vision with carbon/kevlar bonded to the cromo lugs instead of aluminium but that used lower spec components. There were two other high end models, the Edge and the Chill and then some lower spec ones too.

Spec is here
http://mombat.org/Raleigh_Specs.htm

More from mombat here
http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Raleigh.html

BBC Bikes reckon it's worth $4k!!
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0702558142

Obviously it's not, and I know they're something of a laughing stock, but aside from the prices they have an incredible collection of bikes and there are plenty that they place below this - it's worth browsing their "other items". They only bother with really decent stuff. There's loads of detail in the description of their ad.

This bike has many original parts including the XT mechs, thumb shifters, levers, chainstay u-brake with sharkstooth, bars, stem. Notable omissions are the cranks and wheels, as well as the usual saddle, tyres etc. It will come with a good set of wheels from an 88 Raleigh Ozark if you want them.

I wonder if this is the only one in the UK. It's certainly a rare beasty - there's only one other on the internet as far as I can see (BBC bikes'). This one was bought by the previous owner around 1999 in Switzerland and currently has the rear brake on the right, Swiss style.

It's nearly ready, still needs a bit of a clean and a few other bits of work, but I was keen to get it up here as that will motivate me to get it finished.

The bike is rideable and fully working but the buyer will need to replace the chain, cable inners and outers and the tyres and the bike could do with a full strip down and service. I've got everything moving, checked it all works and replaced the wheels. People often have tyres and chain hanging around and I always think it's better to do cables once, rather than put new ones on when a service is still required. Also it will be up to the new owner whether to go with the original yellow for the outers or something more low key.

I've built up a bit of a collection of large lugged mtbs with the intention if keeping one or two and this was briefly a contender but not really what I was after so I resolved to do what was necessary for it to be fully functional and complete and then to move it on.

Once I've finished I'll take some better pics.

Hard to know how to price it. I was tempted to undercut bbcbikes and say $3.5k ;-)

I reckon £150 is about right, postage extra or collection from Brighton or I may be able to bring to London. All comments welcome, including re price.

All info above is from research, not first hand knowledge, so I'm happy to be corrected. I can say the bike rides very nicely and nimbly and it feels compact for its size.

Pics will follow in a minute

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
21.5" c to (shining) c

DSC_0724_zps912e4bdd.jpg

Bump. My attitude to pricing varies from one thing toaanother. When something is nice, rare and interesting I generally want a decent price and am happy to wait and let it find its price. Other things I'm more pragmatic and am happy to see other RBers get stuff karma or a good deal. That said this is not one I'll keep so if you're interested let me know - offers considered.

Now all cleaned up and sorted, I'll get some pics up when I'm back in the office (where it is).

Bike now riding very nicely, even with that chain. I think I have a suitable chain at home so I'll throw that in too. I may also get around to other little bits of work and I don't think I'd increase the price so if you're interested now (prior to that work) it would be at a discount.

Back