Great big Singlespeed thread!

I think its because most people use the middle chainring position to achieve the desirable chainline. 32t generally being the smallest middle ring size.

kaiser":3jgmoeul said:
I think its because most people use the middle chainring position to achieve the desirable chainline. 32t generally being the smallest middle ring size.
Yes, this probably, although if you're using a normal cassette type hub you should be able to move the sprocket in far enough to achieve a correct chainline with the granny ring position. If you're using a freewheel or a single speed cassette type hub (like Hope or Chris King trials/SS) then you might not be able to get the sprocket inboard enough, as the wheel has less dish.

Another thing to consider is that, for a given pressure applied at the pedal, chain tension is higher the smaller the sprocket/chainring sizes become, resulting in higher tooth loading just when you have fewer teeth engaged with the chain anyway, so more wear, less smoothness.
It hasn't been a problem to me with a my 28T HBC chainring, which is pretty much as good as new after two years, but I'm old and pretty mediochre in my power output.
Hopefully you're not.....

Grannygrinder":wxch7zav said:
This old thing still needs a frame repair but sooner or later it will be my main rider :D
Currently on 18-30 gearing as the hills are 'significant' around these parts ;)

I take it this has now been repaired and it will have the discussed gearing applied to it?

Work in progress.
Its a ti frame and i know a man who can repair it, but not for a while.
I will probably go for 26-14 and see how i find it.
No rush though i've got plenty of other things to ride ;)

the finished (for now) klein rascal ss
2013-08-14195749_zps58f2d55f.jpg

I decided to bite the bullet on set it up(even if i can't ride it yet :D ) for 26-13 using the grannyring on the front.
There is something very satisfying as the cutting disc slices through your M960 crankarm :shock: :LOL: :LOL:
Chainline is bang on with 8mm of spacers inside(spokeside) of the rear sprocket and as the sprocket is so far inboard there is even less chance of chainslap on the chainstay as the only section of overlap is right near the front sprocket.
22 tooth is fited at the moment as my 26t hasn't arrived yet, i will also fit stell chainring bolts as the alloy ones would be foolish!
So in theory i am really happy, as to how it rides i'll have to wait and see :D

Attachments

• xtr 002.JPG
    xtr 002.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,238
  • xtr 001.JPG
    xtr 001.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,238
Grannygrinder":qu62xfip said:
Chainline is bang on with 8mm of spacers inside(spokeside) of the rear sprocket and as the sprocket is so far inboard there is even less chance of chainslap on the chainstay as the only section of overlap is right near the front sprocket.

Surely chainslap is never an issue on a singlespeed anyway? It's one of the attractions of SS and IGH bikes.

I was 99% sure it wouldn't be a problem, but with such small rings and with the chainstays on this frame being quite chunky i was a little concerned, i needn't have been :D
A couple of friends who SS alot have raised concerns about wear rates but when you compare the cost of middle rings(about £45 minimum for these cranks :? ) and take into account that a stainless steel 26t inner is about £8 i'll still be quids in if they wearout 4 times as quickly :LOL: Also all the miidle rings for these cranks are aluminium meaning that they aren't really the ideal choice for SS.
I've fitted a Gusset 13t rear sprocket with quite a wide footprint on the freehub to spread the load, a Hope trials hub would be nice but funds won't allow it at the moment :roll:

I have all the torque of a lettuce so i don't see wear being a problem :D

so I built a singlespeed for the summer. the frame was karma from here the rest of the parts I had to hand, threw it all together and came up with a rasta bike. I was enjoying it so much that ive not used my other bikes for a while.
then I saw the haro in the 98 section :D took it for spin to see what it was like and ended up taking a 6mile detour in the pouring rain on the way home, need to upgrade the brakes befour a serious ride but I really like it.
side by side they are identical bikes the only difference being the size and the disks

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,207
  • 12653_10151803041488588_1070001106_n.jpg
    12653_10151803041488588_1070001106_n.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,206
Back