What's the attraction of Retro Bikes?

I like creating things and there's more scope to do custom stuff on old bikes without having to sell a kidney to pay for it.

Also fits well with my views on reusing and upcycling.

All of the above AND they are much cheaper than classic cars (£1000 goes along way on retro) and you can get more than one in the garage and the mrs forgives you for buying another one and another...

Its just about the most environmentally sound thing to do without actually growing a beard and shouting at everybody about it.

About 90% of parts from 1986 to 2009 are interchangeable which makes for some great builds to suit a purpose (1974 frame with modern parts as a commuter)

Its easy

Its cheap.

Ish...

Its fun.

Its character building.

Exactly this:
BikesampGirlssmall_zps251325d5.jpg

davemev":187y15nt said:
whats the attraction to retro bikes?
Retro Girls

fluroforks":187y15nt said:
Having all the things you wanted when you were younger but couldn't afford.

:oops: :cool:

widowmaker":187y15nt said:
Retro bikes have SOUL :cool: !!!!!
Bikes, new or old, dont have soul... we superimpose that upon them as we like to personificate things as we develop meaningless attachments to them....
Old bikes are better than new ones however ;)

G

Barneyballbags":2qs08rqm said:
fluroforks":2qs08rqm said:
Having all the things you wanted when you were younger but couldn't afford.

This.

(*although I still can't afford them :oops: )

And a shed to fiddle with them in, and more patience to fettle.

I'm into retro bikes because:-

* I stopped riding regularly aged around 19, having tried in vain to find tracks near my uni that would be worthy of my MTB and my time. My bike collection was frozen in time from then (1997) until a re-awakening in summer 2013. Not being settled in a permanent job yet, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a modern 1000 quid bike and risking damaging it as I transport it around the globe on airlines (my retro bike has mostly survived its travels, with the exception of a few easily replaced plastic parts).

* My 96 rigid steel frame rides beautifully, is lightweight yet strong, and functions very well. I have no reason to mess with this formula for the time being. I also worry a comfortable 29er may be faster, but would feel soulless to ride.

* Great value for money.

* Easy to fix. I learnt the importance of this when I needed to get my retro bike shifters fixed in a village in the central Mexican highlands a couple of years back. The mechanic would be more accustomed to working bikes like that used by Nacho, I think.

member-cfg83-albums-shtuff-01-picture1068-nacho-libre-trike.jpg

* Retro bikes can turn heads - sparking curiosity, respect or derision. Overtaking (or keeping up with) riders who use modern bikes is a guilty pleasure I have.

Whilst everything above is essentially true, personally I think there’s a bit more too it

For me its re-connecting with the amazing mtb social phenomenon that happened in the UK in the late eighties, early nineties.

mtb boomed in the UK almost from a standing start in such a short space of time - it really was a golden era

A heady mix of innovation, marketing, fashion, colour, newspaper headlines, you name it

MTBs then were cool in a way they just aren’t now

For me it’s these feelings which ensure an enduring appreciation of this era of bikes over and above both older and more modern machines

Latest posts

Back