Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways...

Re: Asda and Tesco Lorries at 40mph on single carriageways..

legrandefromage":16j6a6e9 said:
I
So, who was to blame here?

Asda for taking the stupid stance of making their lorries slower than a JCB Fastrac?

The Megane driver for the stupid impatience?

The VW Transporter for not looking to see what the car in front is doing?

IF the Asda truck had been going 50mph, would the incident ever have happened?

Megan for obvious reasons and VW Transporter for not leaving enough gap and not paying enough attention.

matthew71":2ikopzf1 said:
highlandsflyer":2ikopzf1 said:
It would be great to adopt the system some countries have where HGVs are banned at certain times or on certain days. Reduce the limit on single lane roads to 30 if anything, and compel them to pull over more regularly.

Get heavy goods back on the trains.

but will people be happy with empty shop shelf,s? there is a canal down the end of my street, perhaps we could start using them again ?

Depends what you are moving on the canal. One of my friends does landscape gardening based on the Regent's Canal. They have been using the Caledonian Canal to move a lot around in the last few years, such as logs.

The hauliers would love to suggest they are all carrying vital, urgent supplies but the truth is a lot of what goes by lorry is not time critical and could certainly go by train. They have been encouraging this is in the last few years and some of the goods are now travelling by train to the supermarkets in the far North of Scotland.

Log lorries not only travel at slow speed on our minor roads, they cause enormous damage to them. I am all for other means of transporting such things being mandatory.

In itally lorries cant use the Autostrada at weekends, or at least thats what I was told when on holiday, but Monday to Friday they are nose to tail in the slow lane. Not sure how this helps anyone as getting onto or off the motorway on a weekday through this wall of nose to tail steel is a nightmare

The megane driver set the incident in motion, but ultimately the vw driver is at fault as he/she hit the stationary fiesta, if you hit someone from behind, you are traveling either too fast, or too close to the car in front to be able to stop in time!

Unfortunately, a lot of people dont read the road ahead and things like this happen, if im wanting to overtake slower moving traffic, i dont get right up behind them and hover on their bumper, i sit far back so you can clearly see past them and down the road at whats approaching.

Its the same with stopping in traffic, i leave a nice gap in front of me (even bigger if im in my nova) and watch the approaching cars until at least two of them have stopped behind me, ive done this for years and its saved the back end of my car, and the front end of the car behind me on more than one occaision over the years.

Most memorable was late at night and id had stopped at a pedestrian crossing behind another car and left a decent gap, i heard tyre squeal behind me and looked to see a cavalier GSi with its front bumper almost hitting the floor as he was braking so hard, moved four or so feet forward and he stopped roughly where the back of my seat wouldve been, had i not moved!

Its all about reading the road in front, and behind, as far as you can to keep an eye one whats all around you, and things like this can be avoided imo!

We_are_Stevo":2774e7cs said:
I hated it when my van was first restricted but now I love it; I can sit on the motorway with my foot flat to the floor (far more comfortable than your leg hovering over the pedal mile after mile...) safe in the knowledge that the Chopper-Squad won't be breathing down my neck if my concentration wavers :cool:

AND; even at 68mph, downhill with the wind behind it, top wack, I still pass a good 75% (if not more!) of the other traffic!

It's a pity all engines aren't governed by GPS regulated limiters, the roads would be much safer; and people might actually learn to drive better... :|

Well said that man.

I work for Sky, all are vans are restricted to 70 (well 73 ish!!) but we are now tracked through all speed limits, its quite enjoyable looking in my wing mirror at all the tossers getting frustrated in those villages where it drops from 50/60 down to 30.... :cool:

Also as its an LCV (light commercial vehicle) we have to do 50 on a single carriage national speed limit, and 60 on dual cariageways. If only all van drivers knew the law!!!!!

Im pretty sure it will become the norm for all vehicles to be fitted with gps trackers when they are built, and insurance companies to use them to bump up the premiums for poor driving.

My point was 38mph on a national speed limit road is too slow, same for 48mph on a Motorway - too many other vehicles lining up to overtake and causing more issues than solving.

I am perfectly happy sat at 56mph behind a lorry, it gets me to where I am going and up to 65mpg.

45mph on a national speedlimit road is quite alright with little old me but its those that want to go faster that cause the problems along with those daft low speed limited Asda and Tesco vehicles

The milk will be out of date at that speed!!!

40 isn't a problem for me - a 3 litre Disco diesel soon gets you used to being slow!

I've no issue being stuck behind slow traffic if it's legitimate. If I'm in that much of a hurry I can always leave home 5 minutes earlier. The sooner cars are restricted by law to the prevailing speed limit through GPS/road sign recognition restricting devices then the happy as a fellow road user I will be.

Cruise control is a wonderful thing....
..I like being overtaken while I stick to the speed limits, only to meet the idiot several miles along the road at a set of lights or behind the next bunch of cars....very amusing.

Latest posts

Back