Retro race venue still rocks!!

forrest

Dirt Disciple
Have just had an absolutely cracking XC race weekend (if you include the camping it makes a whole weekend), taking part (competing would be the wrong word) in the last round of the Midlands XC at Eastridge. Having raced NEMBA & SAMS in the 90s, I felt a need to tick off at least one round of the Midland Series, and this was definitely the one to do. A slightly different part of Eastridge woods than previous NPS and National Champs venues, but the course was still a proper old-skool XC challenge. Nowhere to cruise, no let-up on the legs. Brutal switch back climbs, tricky downhill obstacles and challenging singletrack It's what every course should be like. Awesome.

I did the full 2009 midlands series.......still not sure why, I just entered on a whim having not raced for the previous decade and a bit........I think I just fancied the challenge.......I loved it!......the top half of the sport category was way too hot for me, I had been a top three expert finisher during my 'yoof', but it became immediately clear I had lost my edge!...... :LOL: ...... Courses were all really good though, especially hanchurch, which had me 100% committed at times on the near vertical drops into bombholes.......great experience though...... :D

Snap!! Former expert from the 90s' now struggling in the Sport cetegory after a 10 year break!! I keep telling myself that not being as good as I was is no excuse for not doing it. Like you say, the courses sometimes demand 100%, so I think the reward is in the riding (and finishing)!

Back