Coast2Coast preparation

MynameisCasper

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi All,

In the second week of September I'll be doing the coast to coast from St Bees to Robin Hoods bay. Stamina-wise I think I am ready. And the route is already in the GPS. But now comes the hard part... Prepping.

What type of wheather do you think I can expect? Do you think I need repellant? Do you have any other tips for me?

Cheers!

I would definitely take a waterproof jacket and trousers and probably a fleece top, or winter cycling jacket in case there's a cold snap or to wear in the evenings/early mornings. Tools, first aid kit, puncture repair kit, pump, spare inner tube, maybe two.

Are you camping or staying in B&Bs?

Me & the misses are about to head off on the Coast to Coast in a few days, send me a message in the first week of September and I'll let you know how we got on, assuming she doesn't kill me on route!

xerxes":2wbd0yp0 said:
I would definitely take a waterproof jacket and trousers and probably a fleece top, or winter cycling jacket in case there's a cold snap or to wear in the evenings/early mornings. Tools, first aid kit, puncture repair kit, pump, spare inner tube, maybe two.

Are you camping or staying in B&Bs?

I'have already bought a waterproof jacket and a pair of trousers. I'll be taking two merino tops so I can add a layer if one is too cold and have a top to wear in the evening. I'll be taking my Intrepid Softshell jacket as well. Tools and the other items you mentioned are always in my backpack.

We'll be staying in B&B's

Thank for the comment.

Rob H":30vhwwx6 said:
Me & the misses are about to head off on the Coast to Coast in a few days, send me a message in the first week of September and I'll let you know how we got on, assuming she doesn't kill me on route!

Thanks Rob. Excellent offer and I will send you a mail. I am not sure if I need repellant or anything like that. What do you think the weather will be like?

What do you think the weather will be like?

England in September, anything from 10 Celsius with high winds and driving rain to 25+ Celsius, glorious sunshine and not a breath of wind and you could have both extremes in the same day, the weather here is really variable.

BBC Weather is pretty good, but too soon for September forecast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2638851

The weather here isn't too bad for riding, I'm mainly wearing cycling shorts, a dry-flow tee-shirt, and a light water proof when it rains. The rain has been really light the last couple of days but in general it's been really bad making alot of the trails unridable, you will have to push over Black Sail pass regardless but I suggest you take the longer road route from Wasdale to Boot as the official route is bog, there was the odd bit of down hill were we could put the the bikes in the granny ring and winch away but for the bulk of day two we pushed the bikes. We were told that Boot to Coniston is just as boggy so we opted to cut the corner off and ride over Hardknot & Wyneose passes instead, this is not to be taken lightly as going up all you can smell is burnt up clutches and on the way down all you can smell is burn out brakes as people have destroyed their cars trying to drive over the pass. I'm now having a couple of days rest by Lake Windermere having pushed, carried, dragged and very ocasionaly rode my bike over 40+ miles from hell in the last two days (day one, 16 miles from St Bees to Ennerdale was a piece of piss)

Rob,

Thank you very much for the info. That's exactly how I imagened it. I have to make sure that I know all the short cuts though...In how many days do you plan to do the whole thing?

I'm planning on doing eight days riding plus two rest days but then I want to enjoy it and don't want it to become a chore.

Back