1990 17" Kona Lava Dome restoration project

DONT GET IT SHOT BLASTED!!!
Its too aggressive.... get it bead blasted or some such. It will give a much more even finish and will be less prone to showing through the final paint/powdercoat

G

After ringing around I found a place that quoted £35 for blast and paint.

Thanks unkleGsif I did ask them about that, and they told me yes thier normal shot blasting would be too much. But they also told me they have a very fine shot blast booth for delicate stuff like this. Anyway its gone in and should be ready within a week.

No worries....

For decals, Gil_M on here is your best bet... I know he has the CinderCone ones on file, so presume he has the Lava Dome too.
Where abouts in P'boro are you? The inlaws are in Bretton

G

Definitely has the Lavadome decals on file too :)

Hi unkleGsif, im based in Yaxley a south east suburb of the bog horror. Thanks I PM'd gil_m and was asked to email him directly which i've done. I just waiting to hear back with what he can provide. In the meantime the frame and forks have gone to K.D.S in Whittlesey who are a industrial metal finishers. I was told they would fit it in with other jobs as their smallest oven is 14ft.

Almost forgot a small gem that arrived with this Kona. An original Cateye Mity in mint condition.

Attachments

• IMG_2410.JPG
    IMG_2410.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 450
The frame and forks are back they look really amazing with a very smooth glossy finish. The quality of the powder coating is very good. The only niggle is the finish around the BB which needs tidying up. it was requested that the cups were left in to protect the BB threads during blast and paint. As the BB was quite badly pitted I elected to leave the original Suntour cups with the frame.

Just waiting for the decals to arrive from Gil and then the rebuild of the Araya RX-7 rims can start.

I must admit I'm very impressed with the finish especially as it only cost £35 to transform a rusty scratched frame into this.

Attachments

• IMG_2430.JPG
    IMG_2430.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2427.JPG
    IMG_2427.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2429.JPG
    IMG_2429.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2428.JPG
    IMG_2428.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2431.JPG
    IMG_2431.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 385
Decals arrived from Gil today, thanks Gil.

Attachments

• IMG_2440.JPG
    IMG_2440.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_2434.JPG
    IMG_2434.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 386
Back