Retro MTB recomendation £100 budget

Nothing against retro Marins (I got a Bear Valley) but I'd hardly say they punch above their weight. They're no more or less remarkable than any other MTB of moderate quality from the era, yet carried an above average price tag for distinctly average finish, spec and performance. This trend has worsened over the years and the price for the modern Marin, a distinctly below average product by today's standards, is a major league pith take.

Chopper1192":102nnnib said:
Nothing against retro Marins (I got a Bear Valley) but I'd hardly say they punch above their weight. They're no more or less remarkable than any other MTB of moderate quality from the era, yet carried an above average price tag for distinctly average finish, spec and performance. This trend has worsened over the years and the price for the modern Marin, a distinctly below average product by today's standards, is a major league pith take.

I have been trying to 'help' him open his eyes to other brands but its proving difficult :facepalm:

I think there maybe someone else in the village giving him advice :roll:

Pyro Tim":3dvh6yf2 said:
contact wookiee, he's the Marin man round these parts. But have to agree with Chopper

I am embarrassed to say that I have let retrobike down, I have done my best to convince him, but seem to have failed. I am pretty sure he will be popping to Asda's to buy a BSO :(

Chopper1192":31uk8pnh said:
This trend has worsened over the years and the price for the modern Marin, a distinctly below average product by today's standards, is a major league pith take.

A full suss Marin just won a group test in this months What Mountain Bike. Not that what the mags say is gospal but they seem to be on the way back.

If you want to get a bargain, look away from the obvious. When I started looking for a s/h bike I put Specialized, GT, Kona etc into the search box and the prices were so strong I almost just went to Halfords for a new Carrera. In the end I found my Saracen which is a really nice bike for the money.

I know its gone beyond the need for the bike now but as far as a Marin goes...you could probably pick up an ok Bear Valley or a poor condition Eldridge for around the hundred mark, and I've seen some good nick early 90's Muirwoods and Palisades going for £50-£100. But as its been said the real retro bargains are not the likes of Marin, Spesh, Kona, Orange or Alpinestars but a good deal can be found with a GT, Saracen or Trek or even something more off beat like a Merida, Nishiki or even a Proflex!

...just my 2 penneth!

Doug

brocklanders023":3d4q9s2v said:
Chopper1192":3d4q9s2v said:
This trend has worsened over the years and the price for the modern Marin, a distinctly below average product by today's standards, is a major league pith take.

A full suss Marin just won a group test in this months What Mountain Bike. Not that what the mags say is gospal but they seem to be on the way back.

Yeah finally! I have been rather underwhelmed with my 08 full suss Marin but my 2011 Carbon Marin 29er is just a joy!

I have managed to find a couple of people lower end Marins for your price point, Muirwoods and Bear Valley models from the early to mid 90s being the common options.

In my limited experience they seem to be nicely made solid and dependable bikes for the money. Some of the original componentry is a bit agricultural, a few mid life upgrades to the drive train and wheels/tyres can help to lighten things up. Plenty of cheap parts available via this forum.

I managed to get my Muirwoods down the red sections at Swinley without it falling apart, I may not have been as fast as all the downhill boys on motorcycles without engines, but my bike cost well under £100 to put together and it's still great fun.

Back