Dropping in to say hello

Welcome Mr U

very nice looking bike you have there, the forks look beefy, but there's no need to milk it......... :facepalm:

thank you for the warm welcome guys, xxnick1975 the forks are sadly not original as they bent in the early days and had to be replaced with these slightly beef'ier ones, think they were tange big forks ? shogun700 :D 'Moo'nivega'. love it. :LOL: Pyro Tim I've been thinking of the older XT crankset , do you know which model is appropriate and acceptable, is there any other non shimano types that would look good. ? or should I just stick with the original Lx ones , is there a lot of difference in the levels ?

The LX ones in the bottom picture look like M560 to me, so 91-93. M730 would be the XT equivalent. Expect to pay around £45-55 for a good pair, more for new old stock (NOS). They are available out there, in both black and silver. I think with the paint job black looks good. You could go for something more bling, but the prices seem to jump a lot, for bling of that period.

Rear mech, I would suggest M735 for the right period, and front, M736.

I have a front mech, 28.6mm diameter, if of use to you. £20 posted to UK for it. Got pics if required.

For the brakes, I see it's got Vs now. I would probably revert to cantis, and fit M095 brifters (brake levers and shifter combo), which are XT, correct period, but for canti brakes only. Again, I'd go for XT, M734. I'd lose the gripshift personally either way.

Good luck with the build :)

Pyro Tim":19hzhgqy said:
The LX ones in the bottom picture look like M560 to me, so 91-93. M730 would be the XT equivalent. Expect to pay around £45-55 for a good pair, more for new old stock (NOS). They are available out there, in both black and silver. I think with the paint job black looks good. You could go for something more bling, but the prices seem to jump a lot, for bling of that period.

Rear mech, I would suggest M735 for the right period, and front, M736.

I have a front mech, 28.6mm diameter, if of use to you. £20 posted for it. Got pics if required.

For the brakes, I see it's got Vs now. I would probably revert to cantis, and fit M095 brifters (brake levers and shifter combo), which are XT, correct period, but for canti brakes only. Again, I'd go for XT, M734. I'd lose the gripshift personally either way.

Good luck with the build :)

What he said! ^^^^^

Thanks Pyro Tim for the advice, I still have the original LX cranks as pictured in the bottom pic on page 1 , I like the colour of them , but I could'nt get the pedals off (which are goosed) so I replaced the whole crankset with a new xt one , great cranks but in hindsight they are too chunky so I think maybe I'll have a look for a set of period xt ones in black,or maybe even some thinner black bling ones.
I upgraded to V brakes as the original cantilver ones were a right royal pain in the backside to get set up and never seemed to offer enough feel and power , so I'm unsure if I want to go back to cantilvers , I'll have a think on that one,

The gripshift shifters were a necessity for the rear changer to work, as I broke the original LX one , and was told the shimano shift units did not work with the sram rear changer , I've got used to the gripshift units now and to be honest I like the clean look, but if I do go for a period xt rear changer I'll have to change the shift units back to a shimano unit wont I ?

Time to go and have a look in the for sale section I think :idea:

yeah, modern SRAM is not compatible with Shimano, and vice versa. The old Gripshit is compatible with Shimano, but not the modern stuff. If you can't get the pedals off, get the bikeshop to help. A proper pedal spanner and a vice should get them free. There is a knack to cantis, but once you get it, you can set them up as well as Vs. At the end of the day though, she's your ride, and you should do what you want with her. Take mine, and everyone elses advice with a pinch of salt ;)

Latest posts

Back