What's on your A list?`

Another name on the RC100 list. Would go well with the RC200f8 I already own.

(And a Dolan time trial bike, some lighter wheels for my road bike, and a single speed track bike. And new Time pedals all round)

clubby":3pqns9qs said:
I have to say I must be at odds with the majority of us. I don't feel the fire in my belly for early steel. I've been riding since '89 and grew up drooling over Fat Chance and Salsa frames but now I can't say they do anything for me. Maybe it's just I've never seen one in the flesh, but I still get the feeling the appeal is in the aura and nostalgia of the name.

My pleasure comes from riding, rather than just owning good steel bikes. Each and every one of my bikes is ridden, regardless of rarity or the name on the top tube, and they all ride amazingly well, which is why they acquired their reputations in the first place. The fact that some bikes went on to sell in numbers where as others disappeared is without doubt because of marketing and the influence of the press at the time, but don't dismiss these bikes just because some folk hold them in such high esteem, they are after all only bikes, but some of them are very good bikes indeed.

I'm not being antagonistic here just genuinely interested. If all the steel frames were painted the same could you tell the difference between them? I know there are small details that distinguish them but is the ride all that different? I know from experience there's a difference between a high end steel frame and a run of the mill, but are the high end all that different from one another?

Maybe it's just that I like quirky frames.

It depends on the geometry and size, I think. Some centimeter difference in the distance of the wheel axes or some degree difference in the angles of the tubes are matters. These make bigger differences than the type of the steel, I think.

Another vote for yes, the ride is VERY different bike to bike.

Some bikes are very stiff, they crack along at a fair rate and are good climbers, but that stiffness makes them slower on rough downhills, as if you push them, they will kick you up the ar$se. Others are smooth and compliant, the Lloyd CATS WISKAS that Ringo has is an amazing frame that really encourages you to push as hard as you can on all terrain. Others like the DOGS BOLX are well balanced, real go anywhere do anything bikes; the list of differences is almost endless, as are the types of tubing used and the combinations they are used in.

A list:
nowt, had them or got them but still need to build two of them up to ride!

B list:
vaguly always fancied a Outland VPP

my unicorn is a Manitou FS that isnt cracked... but it doesnt exist and even if it did then I'd ride and crack it.

I have fancied a Bonty for a while now, so if I were to have an 'A' list, then I would have one of them on it (not too fussed what model).
It would be joined by, 1989 Diamond Back Ascent (My 1st proper MTB), 1991 Diamond Back Axis (My 1st proper race bike), A Black/Green Klein Rascal (sp)(A mate had one and I loved how the green part 'glowed' at dusk) and a 1990? GT Tequesta (in baby blue aqua or what ever colour its called ;) ) .

P.S. I reserve the right to change and or add to this list an I quite often go 'off on one' for a particular bike :LOL:

ti_pin_man":18v6uy41 said:
my unicorn is a Manitou FS that isnt cracked... but it doesnt exist and even if it did then I'd ride and crack it.

My LBS has one in the back room. Built up 93ish, sat on the floor, then put in the back room. Never been ridden. :D They never really did anything for me.

Back