'86 Raleigh Competition - advice welcome!

Thank you. And wow - the Shimano 105 brakes look much nicer than the Weinmann ones I've got on mine.

How long is your stem? Handlebars have to be the first thing for me to sort out and I'm trying to work out if I'll need a new stem too.

And (hopefully this will work) here are the eBay pics of my bike...

Attachments

• new raleigh 3.JPG
    new raleigh 3.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 776
  • new raleigh 2.JPG
    new raleigh 2.JPG
    1.6 KB · Views: 776
  • new raleigh 1.JPG
    new raleigh 1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 776
Cinelli is a good brand and tends to be what all the retro guys go for although 3ttt, modolo, itm etc are all up there quality wise. Other brands are perfectly adequate ie SR but just not finished quite as well.

Regarding sizing I'd look for a 100mm stem and 42cm bars as they are the "average" set up. Old school sizing set the bar length so that the hub was in line with the bars as you looked down from resting on the hoods, bar width was the width of your shoulders. As I said though I'd start with 100mm and 42cm I'd probably also go with SR to retain originality.

I may have a stem or two plus some bars, I'll have a look when I sort out your leavers....which are the same as the picture of the bike in original condition.

Might I suggest that you avoid eBay where possible for parts. No especial reason apart from the fact that often even the most mundane kit goes for daft prices.
I would look here first.
Match stem and bars for both looks and fit. There were many different standards about in those days.

By the way, how important is the bottom bracket? Presumably I'd only find out what's been fitted to my bike by removing it, which strikes me as being something that could be fairly tricky and which I'm not qualified to do...

Your bottom bracket will be English thread. Length is determined by which chainset you are using.

Re: '86 Raleigh Competition - & Peugeot! - advice please?

Well, it seems I've been well and truly bitten by the retrobikes bug... I've only gone and bought a Peugeot Triathlon off eBay for £51. It was while I was looking at stems for the Raleigh - it was mis-listed under 'stems' and I thought I might pick up a bargain.

It seems more of a complete bike ready to go than the Raleigh, not needing handlebars for a start - hopefully I've attached the vendors pictures below.

What do you guys think? Is it any better or worse than the Raleigh frame-wise, or merely different?

I mailed the guy and asked what components it had on it, and he said "hi Its A Reynolds 501 Cromalloy -M /12 Vitesses Speed /Derailluur Rival Aris /Brakes say Weinmann 570"

This link seems to suggest it's a 1986 model (just like the Raleigh) but the specification for that year says it should have a Super Vitus frame and Modolo brakes.

Anyway, it should give me a road bike to ride while I'm getting the Raleigh fixed up and then I can make a decision about which one to keep...

Attachments

• Peugeot Triathlon 2.JPG
    Peugeot Triathlon 2.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 969
  • Peugeot Triathlon 1.JPG
    Peugeot Triathlon 1.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 969
Back