Fat Chance 1992 Yo Eddy Rebuild

Yes, the new stuff - its green.

I had heard bad stuff about it but it works well, just differently to the old stuff.

It takes a lot longer to work, but it doesn't dry out as quick either. Just paint it on and leave it for a while and do something else. The paint will either go wrinkly (like the old stuff) or just be very soft afterwards and easily removed with a brillo or similar - it can even be scratched off with a finger nail.

I found exactly the same with the fork, not tried the frame, yet ... ;-)

I have used about 1/4 of the tin in the picture above to do the fork and one and a bit crank arms i.e. about £2.50's worth :D

The light grey underneath is not paint, its either coloration from heat treatment or ano. If it's ano I think its fairly easy to sand through (based on other ano finishes I have sanded off). The cranks are full of grinding marks / dressing up marks underneath the coating, probably from the shimano factory processes ?

WD :D

Thank you :cool:

Some of the colour scheme is now fixed ...

:cool:

I was a bit worried about the new purple shade / hue as I had seen various pictures on the net that seemed to suggest anything from old skool 3DV to a deep blue / purple. When it first came out of it's packet it was much brighter then I expected (which was good). Its hard to photograph (it looks lighter in real life) but it's actually quite a good match when compared to new / un faded / old skool purple :

ridevintagemtb":30yuh6hb said:
WD Pro":30yuh6hb said:
Some of the colour scheme is now fixed ...

1" right? Looks larger in the photo.

Damn, I should have checked that ... :LOL:

Yeah, it's a 1" - or at least that what I ordered ... :D but I have just ran up stairs and double checked !

suburbanreuben":18rwrgxf said:
Clunker might have some Groovy Cycles disc forks to suit...

WD Pro":18rwrgxf said:
PM sent - thank you :cool:

Not suitable for 1" ... :-(

I picked a nice stem option up from Kestonian, a bit shorter and more rise than the other options I have :

DSC08611_zps128d9df6.jpg

Although the faceplate is missing it was cheap, the clamp parts aren't cracked and the long bolt was the OE Ti :cool: This will be going purple ... :D

Grips should go quite well with frame colour (team violet or a variation of it) :

I know they look blue on that photo (Sony camera !) :LOL: My first go at colour correction, this is what they actually look like :

I finished stripping the crank and have sanded out all the scuffs :

I just need to see what kind of a surface finish I need to prep it to ready for coating.

I swapped the rings for a 952 BB :

I think it's had very little use as it is still quite tight and very smooth. I pulled back the non drive side seal (as it's the easiest one to get to) and the grease was clear yellow / looked like brand new standard Shimano stuff :D

I fitted the BB to clean up the burrs on the splines. It fitted well and I am happy they will be OK :D

These kind of fixtures and fittings will be getting the purple treatment to :

Back