My 1982 Mercian rebuilt and out for the first time today!

S1m0nR

Old School Hero
I was given this bike by a family friend who had hung up his cycle clips for the last time, and this coincided with my holiday plans for this year: to cycle the gravel tracks of the New Forest. The bike has been built up with touring bars, fatter tyres and new Shimano Tiagra gears, ready for the slightly rougher terrain it's about to cover.

I've also rebuilt a British Eagle 531-framed bike for my Mrs so that her road bike doesn't get a hammering and today we took them out for their first trip - a 45 mile jaunt from Cambridge to Ely and back on the Lodes Way. I'm pleased to report that nothing fell off or went wrong, just mile after mile of smooth steel-framed riding.

Here are a couple of pics of the Mercian.

IMG_5822_3_4_tonemappedsm by sboreeves, on Flickr

IMG_5832_tonemappedsm by sboreeves, on Flickr

It's perhaps not what Mercian had in mind when the bike was made but it'll be perfect for its intended purpose. I'll post a few pics of it in the beautiful surrounds of the New Forest, along with its British Eagle counterpart!

Re: My 1982 Mercian rebuilt and out for the first time today

the bars and shifter's and angles of, do look a bit different.!
i would have thought ' bar end levers ' and seperate brake lever's
and level off bottom of bars....wish some one would give me one especialy in such good nick

I know the area well, how many times did you need to change gear?

Cheers for the replies chaps!

I agree that the 3ttt touring/randonneur (?) bars are an acquired taste - my father bought them for his Record Ace back in the late '80s and I ended up cycling many miles with them when he gave me his bike. I liked them then and they've been hanging up in my garage for about the last 10 years so I thought it was time for them to see the light of day.

The Lodes way is a lovely little route but as you hinted Matthew, a little on the flat side!! The biggest climb according to the My Tracks app was about 40ft over about half a mile. Think I had to change gear maybe once for the bridge over Reach Lode which is a little steep nice view off the top though.

IMG_2952_tonemapped by sboreeves, on Flickr

wow your photagraphy looks good enough for a competition.
may be retrobike should do a 'b est scenic photo of the month '

Back