Anyone Painted A Aluminium Crank ?

I'm guessing low heat, as it went through the oven on a hook between a bunch of formed Aluminum Corvette spare tire trays. I like the ceramic, and it would have gone good with all the flat black ano'd parts on my build, but the price for the powder (free) was too good to pass up.

Rampage":207svqw9 said:
Looks like blasted and anodised! Pity they have the steel axle!

If the cranks were mint I would have been knocking on your door for ano :LOL: M952 with no fixed axle ;-)

They weren't though - the OE finish had been compromised in quite a few places so I fear they would have etched (if thats the right word) a little to much in those areas and looked a little poo, even though they appear to be quite clean / blemish free now :-(

WD :D

FMJ":13ydoquv said:
I'm guessing low heat, as it went through the oven on a hook between a bunch of formed Aluminum Corvette spare tire trays. I like the ceramic, and it would have gone good with all the flat black ano'd parts on my build, but the price for the powder (free) was too good to pass up.

Thank you :cool:

I was meaning more on the material - I suspect it's one of the epoxy's, thin and tough without causing problems for masking / assembly etc with thick edges and other issues ... :D

WD Pro":nscvebr3 said:
Rampage":nscvebr3 said:
Looks like blasted and anodised! Pity they have the steel axle!

If the cranks were mint I would have been knocking on your door for ano :LOL: M952 with no fixed axle ;-)

They weren't though - the OE finish had been compromised in quite a few places so I fear they would have etched (if thats the right word) a little to much in those areas and looked a little poo, even though they appear to be quite clean / blemish free now :-(

Oh I see, I thought it was the same as the ones in the picture above.
I have some M952 cranks in purple.
They are possibly the hardest aluminium alloy I've come accross. A right pain to polish!
Isn't the ceramic finish very thin? So any imperfections on the metal will show up?

Did the purple ones come out good ? any pics ? :cool:

I think the ceramic is thin, but I think it can be preped before hand ? They quote "Repair, Profile, & Coat XTR 95X (Crank Arms only)" but as this is all new to me I am not sure yet ? !

Those are them, I actually sold them on eBay but they were never paid for!

pgi2.jpg

It was ages ago, £45 I think with no BB. I was glad the buyer didn't pay!

I will have to read up on that ceramic coating some more.

Rampage":1by8j7sb said:
It was ages ago, £45 I think with no BB. I was glad the buyer didn't pay!

I will have to read up on that ceramic coating some more.

Look up Cerakote, I can't remember if that's a coating or the name of the company, I was going to try the low friction coatings, for the skirts of pistons.

I haven't tried painting cranks[yet], I would try alodine dip then epoxy prime then paint or powder coat. I wouldn't be surprised if powder put up with heel rub better then anodising.
I painted the floors of my land rover[ali sheet], 2pk etch, 2 pk primer and 2pk top coat. I didn't expect it to hold up and only really painted them as I was painting some parts nato green for someone. One day I got a stone in the sole of my boot[not long after I painted the floor] and it scratched the paint a bit, through to the ali. After ten years quite a bit of the paint is worn away, but I don't think there is any peeling or flaking.

Back