Optimum straddle length?

wookiee":pb1v30qh said:
My 2 penneth! The lower the straddle cable the higher the power...But your canti's stick out more!

And according to Sheldon et al the softer the lever which is my problem running road levers and mtb cantis.

My son nicked my helmet and now all I've got is a Giro Skyline i picked up somewhere! Have saved the hair that was in it for the scene of my next axe murder :twisted:

The History Man":3bcxtvyr said:
wookiee":3bcxtvyr said:
My 2 penneth! The lower the straddle cable the higher the power...But your canti's stick out more!

And according to Sheldon et al the softer the lever which is my problem running road levers and mtb cantis.

My son nicked my helmet and now all I've got is a Giro Skyline i picked up somewhere! Have saved the hair that was in it for the scene of my next axe murder :twisted:

Hahaha the hair was a freebie!

wookiee":3ouje4lp said:
The History Man":3ouje4lp said:
wookiee":3ouje4lp said:

Hahaha the hair was a freebie!

Wouldn't have minded but pubes......

The History Man":23av1jhx said:

Hahaha the hair was a freebie![/quote]

Wouldn't have minded but pubes......[/quote]

What do you expect from a "helmet"....

The History Man":2oxuhp9h said:
I'm actually quite happy riding round displaying your helmet.

enough already

A fine helmet with a good shine and despite being used...plenty of miles still in it! :LOL:

Elysarian":u9r513u2 said:
There is a point at which you will achieve the best balance and this will depend on your brake setup - it's all about finding the sweet spot in the mechanical advantage curve.

Sheldon Brown's site explains this better than I ever could:

http://sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html

and:

http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geom ... mechanical

I try and set mine up for low at the front and higher at the back because I've got a nasty habit of knocking the back arms with my heels. With the straddle really low you get great braking but faster pad wear and a lot of leaver travel [You have to warn civilians if you lend them your bike because they think the brakes feel squishy and they end up grabbing a handful...]. I find that it helps to get the wheel out if you loosen the QR first and then you can jiggle the wheel about a bit which helps getting the straddle cable out, rather than undoing the QR later.

unkleGsif":35xx2mfw said:
Lower the straddle

...taken from WD's Bear Valley thread
DSC06713.jpg
[/URL]

Youre fairly bandying this picture about :? First for tyres ,now straddle cable length.
I reckon youve only cable/frame protectors then youre all played out :LOL:

I didn't post it up ... ;-) This time ... :LOL:

But yes, I do post pictures when they are topical as they speak 1000 words :D I have loads in my photo bucket account so it would be a shame not to use them :LOL:

WD :D

dyna-ti":1u8zike3 said:
unkleGsif":1u8zike3 said:
Lower the straddle

...taken from WD's Bear Valley thread

Youre fairly bandying this picture about :?

It was me, hence the "unkleGsif wrote"...... and "taken from WD's Bear Valley thread" :cool:

Used because its a favourite thread.... of probably everyone's

dyna-ti":1u8zike3 said:
I reckon youve only cable/frame protectors then youre all played out :LOL:

Nah,
Cable Donuts.... thick cables.... XTR logo positioning :LOL:

G

Back