It's the season for Peugeot 653 Athena's !

531 pro

rBotM Winner
This is a modern re-imagining of an 80/90's classic - sort of! Not all that keen on the medium cage rear mech or compact chainset (on aesthetic grounds) but this baby is going up L'Alpe dHuez next week, so needs must eh.

Reynolds 653 frame rides beautifully with the modern Campag kit, and it feels pretty light to me. Slightly plusher ride than my 753 Perthus.

You've got to be confident in your manhood to ride a bike with pink handlebar tape and purple pedals (resprayed!)...and a gold chain. But check out the 1989/90 catalogue and you'll see its OEM correct!! Anyway, I like pink...!!

Looks great, what's the minimum gear that you have?

I was thinking about old frame / new kit build, this is a good motivator seeing your build. Think I will have to go for it.

Great looking bike but then I would say that :)

What size frame is it ? and how tall are you ? Mine Athena is a 58cm frame but I don't have wheels yet so trying to gauge seat height and so on.

Maca":2m7fx89r said:
Great looking bike but then I would say that :)

What size frame is it ? and how tall are you ? Mine Athena is a 58cm frame but I don't have wheels yet so trying to gauge seat height and so on.

It's a 62cm frame (biggest you could get!) and i'm a long legged 6'3". I ride alongside my club mates, towering over them, and they think they're riding kids bikes in comparison! Good luck with your build. I have been following it with interest. Your frame looks a bit better than mine cosmetically, so i'm sure it will build up into a stunning bike. They do ride very nicely and i'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

That is big ! and its not like you have the saddle down either.

Looks great thou, the big frame tend to look nice when set up right. Thanks for the comments about mine I'm really looking forward to getting out on it. Just waiting on the wheels being completed but all the time I'm waiting I'm swapping and changing bits so its costing me lol.

The retro Peugeot tackles Alpe dHuez!

...attracted quite a lot of attention over in its homeland: "Peugeot - cest magnifique" followed by "you're not taking 'that' up the alpe are you??" :D It made it though! It does ride very nicely, very smooth. It is also quite 'whippy' (those forks bend back quite a way under braking!!). The clearances are also super tight. I fitted some 25mm tyres at the last minute, but the rear one rubbed on the chainstay when I was out of the saddle, as did the front one on the fork blades :shock:. I'd say 23mm is the max. The modern groupset is a bit of a revelation I have to say. Why didn't anyone tell me about these new fangled brake/gear levers before? Great fun!

Sweet ride!! And nice accomplishment!! I've always had a thing for Peugeots. I feel your pain on the tire size limitation. I just built up an 86 Raleigh Super Course as a single speed. To my horror, I found that the rear brake bridge is so low, that a 20 or 21 was the largest tire I could fit in the frame. a 25 rubbed the brake springs, and barely cleared the bridge by 1/8" or less. A 23 would not have been much better. I have no idea what the designer/builder was thinking.

Great pic, its nice to see one being riden in anger .......... ive got about 60 miles under the belt on my one now and have loved every mile.

531 don't want to hijack your thread but Miguello heres the link to my build thread if you like these peugeots

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=263953

Like ALL Peugeots. Thanks for the link!:D

The only one I own at the moment though, is an 85? PH10 in black. Hotrodded the heck out of it. Clyclone M-II derailleurs, cartridge bearing wheels, drilled Sugino crankset from a Nishiki Intl. It's a joy to ride, as I imagine this Athena is. I need to get another PX10 someday, I had a very nice one for a while, but it was way too large for me.

No comparison to an Athena, but I like the paint scheme, and the ride. It feels like something MUCH higher end, when you're in the saddle.

DSCN4715_zpsced47cd1.jpg

A great thread this, and love the headless Alpe d'Huez shot. Really looks the business and I'm tempted to change from Look to Time pedals just for a pair of those shoes. :cool:

Back