lets see your retro road action photos ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
That's me on the left, pulling my scariest climbing grimace at the Nick o'Pendle on lat year's Pendle Witches.

the Phil griffiths photo is interesting. I always seem to remember him as what I thought was a tall chap and the long legs and big frame in nob's photo would confirm that. I met him (along with 100's of others probably) at a bike show last year and was surprised to see he seems quite short and stocky. I know we all put on a few pounds with age and not racing, but his lack of height compared to my preconceptions surprised me.

None of me I'm afraid, I did very few TT's and nobody photographs those in 42nd place in RR's.

A running friend of mine, used to be a more than decent time trial rider ( a long time ago :D ) - so I've been told - but NOT by him.

He is possibly older than most on this forum. :D

His name is Mick Ward., anyone heard of him or have any pics of him competing ?

What i do know, is that he was (still is) a superb runner and he holds quite a few records in the various veterans categories.

Oh yes, he can still hold a more than decent pace on a bike.

lastpubrunner":27ifc2en said:
A running friend of mine, used to be a more than decent time trial rider ( a long time ago :D ) - so I've been told - but NOT by him.

He is possibly older than most on this forum. :D

His name is Mick Ward., anyone heard of him or have any pics of him competing ?

What i do know, is that he was (still is) a superb runner and he holds quite a few records in the various veterans categories.

Oh yes, he can still hold a more than decent pace on a bike.

I've got a couple in some 'Sporting Cyclist' mags. I'll try and find them.

He rode with a 'reverse brake lever' on the bottom end of his 'bars so that it would be easily removable for grass track racing. When he won the 25 Champs in 1958 I understand he counted every pedal rev (on 84" fixed) to make sure he wasn't slowing down!

He also won the 50 Champs 3 times 1956/58/59.

Old Ned":3jq7yjfr said:
daccordimark":3jq7yjfr said:
Old Ned":3jq7yjfr said:
You want RB'er photos? Here's another of me in '86 riding the Tandem Club 25 mile championship in rather inclement weather (!) on the K24 course near Coventry. I'm with my mate also called Paul (and who also had ginger hair and a moustache) and we did 55-03. It was a bit dodgy on the several roundabouts on this course. The photo was taken with about a mile to go - and the pressure was beginning to show!

Fantastic picture Paul - a real "turning ourselves inside out" shot. How big was that chainring though?

I like the way stoker Paul's socks are still white while yours are quite frankly shocking!

Mark.
I think it was a 62 - but could have been 64! It was used with a 13 sprocket, no 12's then.

I got all the rain and grime from the front - but he had the wet *rse :twisted:

That shot was the Holme Valley 10 wasn't it. How did you do on that miserable excuse for a TT course?

Just catching up with this thread and Sir Nob's huge collection of 'TT photos. Good point about the wet behind - I hadn't thought of that!

The HVW 10 was horrible as you might expect. The Sovereign course must rate as the worst 10 course ever (in my admittedly limited experience). My 27:33 put me 27th out of 32 finishers. The following morning I went up to the V212 and did a long 26 that was 30 seconds slower than the same event last year!

Mark.

Latest posts

Back