Brush Painting A Frame

Bone Machine

Dirt Disciple
Last summer, I rattle can painted my 1993 Rocky Mountain Equipe. It looked pretty good initially, but in just over year, it had way too many chips. So I decided to experiment with brushing on regular household paint. I figured it would be a lot tougher finish than the rattle can paint.

I used Tremclad rust paint. After stripping the frame, I put on two coats of grey primer. I sanded the primer to remove the brush marks. Then I brushed on 4-5 coats of flat black. After that dried, I put on one coat of red. I did not sand the black paint prior to putting on the red. I wanted to get a unique pattern when I did the final sanding.

Once the paint had fully dried, 3-4 hours of sanding, couple coats of Krylon satin clear, ended up with this:

hxo2.jpg

4wr2.jpg

y4z9.jpg

zod1.jpg

I think it turned out pretty nicely. Only time will tell how tough this finish is compared to rattle cans.

What sort of paint would that be? I like it. Thinking yellow top coat over black.........

GuyWood":3qye75uu said:
classic anti-scumbag stealth colour.

Agree with that. You've made a really nice job there and provided much inspiration. I bet we see some interesting colour combinations on here soon :cool:

Thanks guys.

Chopper - I agree with you, but I don't have a reasonably priced powder coater in my area. This is good for people on a budget. It's much cheaper than even rattle canning.

History Man - I used Tremclad rust paint. A $15 can would probably paint over 10 frames.

The red paint I used was glossy and tough to sand. Next time I will stick to flat paints, as I find them easier to sand.

Hey Bone,
Awesome look. Just obtained a '94 Kona Kilaeua with some rust issues and now I'm thinking of doing something along similar lines once it gets to that stage. Thanks for the inspiration and keep us posted on how it holds up!

I think that looks really cool and is a great idea :cool:

Anyone for neon under neon or neon under black ? :cool:

WD :D

Back