Great big Singlespeed thread!

Its does, but it's less faff with the tensioner in my eyes and I had it on the Fuquay when I had that as a SS, so used.

If your frame is like this one, where the caliper is mounted almost directly above the wheel spindle
images

then moving the wheel forward or back a few millimetres won't make that much difference to the disc/pad contact area. The most movement you'd ever need would be about 6mm if you use a half link to fine tune chain length.

I'll have a single speed soon...my old Beast of the East. Here's the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=267184

I'll start with a 32:16 gear ratio and see how I get on. Still not 100% on pedal choice; I normally ride flats but was wondering if I'd be better off with clips for an extra bit of power.

Mindmap3":2pxnnizy said:
I'll start with a 32:16 gear ratio and see how I get on. Still not 100% on pedal choice; I normally ride flats but was wondering if I'd be better off with clips for an extra bit of power.
Better for spinning high cadences, certainly.

Is there any reason why i couldn't/shouldn't run a 26 tooth granny ring and a 13 tooth rear sprocket?
BB clearance will be improved, i can't see any reason why not??

Grannygrinder":5sy9wwz6 said:
Is there any reason why i couldn't/shouldn't run a 26 tooth granny ring and a 13 tooth rear sprocket?
BB clearance will be improved, i can't see any reason why not??

No real reason why not - although chain and sprocket wear rates will be higher than with larger sprockets and chainring and the drivetrain may not feel as smooth.
I'm currently using a 28T chainring on Middleburn RS7 cranks with no problems at all.

I'm hoping the wear rates will be balanced out by the fact that replacement grannyrings are so much cheaper than decent middle rings, plus most are stainless steel rather than the softer aluminium.

Back