The first signs of middle age...

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just starting to notice certain things that were fine in my youth but of little relevance when spoken out loud:

Shouting ''Look! Its Enrico Polazzo!'' to the younger guy you're playing Frisbee with to try and distract him when he:

A: has no idea who Enrico Polazzo is

B: has no idea what film it relates to.

Saying ''Oooooh, shut that doooor'' in an overly camp manner when absolutely no-one under the age of 40 knows what the hell all that is about.

Even relatively recent things as ''Lets off-road Lindsey!'' draw a blank...

Then theres the women, a pretty 20 something smiles at you, your heart melts but then you realize you are now old enough to be here Dad... :facepalm:

...and she's more likely to be feeling sorry for you as you catch your reflection and see why - gone is the handsome teenager you once were!

What you think they see:

Pivot-Sleeve-Shirt-is-designed-for-cyclist.jpg

And what they actually see:

old-man.jpg

legrandefromage":3n4dumx3 said:
Then theres the women, a pretty 20 something smiles at you, your heart melts but then you realize you are now old enough to be their dad... :facepalm:

dad??? more like granddad!!!

Hell. I am grandad. Heading more for 70 than 60.and I still see the top photo. Look its all in your mind. Dont do being old. Theres no point in it. Started wearing lycra threequarters for the first time a couple of years ago. Far too comfy to simply leave to the young .Thing is you can get away with all sorts of things if you maintain an attitude.No one notices.Got an off road tandem a couple of years back and we live in the yorkshire dales. Big hills and rocky trails.Just go out and do it. You have years to go yet . However you do notice things. One thing that gets me are shop assistants who see you as some old fart who knows nothing but may have a few quid spare.Lets sell him something that we have had for ages and no one wants. I have had to sort quite a few of those out over the last few years.Also people who buy bikes and take them to the shop for servicing. Buy some tools.learn how to spanner the thing.Next time you are in the boonies and something goes bang you will know what to do( apart from getting your mobile out and ringing your mum). Last time out on my solo bike I stopped to help a lad who turned out to have a puncture.I have a puncture kit. Its o.k. says he. I am being collected. Dear god! You will know when you are really old. You whitter on like me. Sad really
Regards
Peter

mmm, can't remember the first signs, whatever they were

good news is that a good night is no longer frequently measured by how many pints, how hot the curry and whether or not you got laid any more, although suspect those still matter for the youth as much as they ever did

Well from what I've seen of SWMBO's 18-year-old sons mates and girlfriends they don't put as much effort into it as I did at that age...

...and I got through a darn site more than just ONE flunky a night whilst I was at it!

As for the OP, it depends what you call middle age; if the average lifespan is 'three score years and ten' then 35 is middle aged!

When Volvos seem suddenly to be quite a good looking car.
When caravans and box trailers could be your next holiday/lifestyle choice.
When the colour beige starts creeping into your wardrobe.
When you hear a genre of trendy new music that holds no appeal whatsoever.

But most importantly.

When you finally start doing the things you like and enjoy, rather than what other people expect of you... For the record, my twenties were a rubbish period of my life, thirties significantly better and forties have been the best yet. Play your cards right and "middle age" rocks.

What am I doing here :?:
How did I get here :?:
Who are you lot :?:
Where is here :?:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Back