Ti raleigh which one?

Chuck moo

Retro Guru
I currently have a very smart 1980 ti raleigh team Worksop built. It is a 56 ctc and I think I need some thing a little higher as I had surgery 2 1/2 years ago for a prolapsed disc. I am not sure if I have been going to hard or if its my postion. Anyway I have been thinking of an SBDU frame and was wondering what to look for and a rough price guide?

Here's a very messy picture of my current set up, in terms of size and fit

Thanks for your guidance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 1,387
I'm afraid I have zero knowledge about SBDU frames, but I thought I would just say that is a very lovely looking bike.

The set up on your bike looks about right for aggressive riding with the saddle slightly higher than the bars, which as you note, may be a bit of a problem with back issues. Assuming that this bike fits you otherwise then buying a larger frame may cause other comfort issues. If it were me I would keep the TI Raleigh and look for another bike to ride hard and set it up with a slightly less aggressive rider position, depending on how much your back hurts that could even involve a flat bar.

That's an awful lot of seat post on display for a road bike of that era. Have a look for the max insertion line on the campag seatpost and it will be way above the seat cluster. That's the sort of set up we used for TT bikes where we weren't concerned about trivial matters of the seat post coming out LOL.

Keep the Ti bike and buy something modern with a more comfortable riding position :D

SBDU frames are difficult to price, it depends on what they were and who they were made for. SBDU frames for named riders go for fair amounts of cash whilst off the peg ones are much less.

Shaun

With a dodgy back, I would go to a decent frame builder who builds made to measure frames and see what he has to say about the best dimensions. You could end up mking it worse and wasting money at the same time. I don't mean buy one, just get his advice.

Thanks for the advice. There's plenty post in the frame, I ve just been and checked and it goes below the seat cluster. I think a couple of easier rides and I ll try fiddle with the postion, first off I ll rotate the bars up thus lifting and shortening it.
Cheers

You considered going to a bike shop where they do frame fittings? They will be than likely advise on best position to avoid making your back worse

Back