Airborne 2000 Lucky Strike DB Rebuild

Just a few ... :LOL:

I think there are only the mechs that havent been on (but little I can do with them and we know what they look and fit like) and the new bars and stem :D

The anodising is back from Rampage - all good other than one bit which I expected not to be great as it was part corroded and then cleaned up before I sent it :

Best stuff on the left, spares in the middle and on the right.

The seat post bits and pulley covers are for the Airborne. The black round bits are Ringle Zooka bits that will go on the Yo.

Ti rear mech bits for swapping out :

I had a second Ti / ceramic pulley but the 970 mech has a floating top pulley so I will leave that as is :D

The X Kings have been filled with stans. They sealed up quite well and are now holding air without dropping pressure :D 60ml in each, took two days and probably about eight lots of shaking each :D

WD :D

Time to dust off the boxes ...

The levers are new to but came without boxes.

I finished swapping over the rear mech, I couldn't use the Ti pulley as the bearing caps were wider (maybe 7 or 8 speed or something ?), I will need to replace or modify them, shame as they have just been anodised ... :-(

All Ti bolts were spun up in the drill to put a nice brushed finish on them :D

Mech bolt was the swapped in the same way as I did on the Bear Valley :

WD Pro":3ctovpb3 said:
Although I had changed the bolt to a Ti one on my old 735 I couldn’t remember how I changed it (20 years ago :oops:) and tales on here of them being a pain and needing pliers etc didn’t sit well with me, especially as it would be put back together after being polished up ... :? Well a bit of thinking and it was actually quite easy using a long bolt screwed into the angle of dangle hole :

DSC05972.jpg

So you can twist it quite easily and hold it down all with one hand :

DSC05971.jpg

In the morning I will be trading Stella for bead blasting :

The last place that let me use their equipment went bust / done a runner ... :shock:

And took with them the bell housing for the car I am building ... :evil:

If the blasting goes well, I am only waiting on a crank bolt and then I have everything I need to build it ... :cool: Other than time ... :LOL:

The blasting went well :cool: and was a good trade for the Stella ... :LOL:

As finished (including blasting dust) :

Washed off, the post is the finish I was trying to match from the last lot of blasting :

For those interested, this was the blast media (pictures off phone) :

And this was the blast equipment (Picture off phone) :

Will I get to build it this weekend ? I dont think so ... :-(

:oops: :LOL: Things in my family and social life have just gone crazy at the moment and they take priority ;-)

Soon, very soon ... Everything lined up ready to go, I just need a chunk of time in one go for it to come together. Looks like it's going to a late night after the little one has gone to bed and my GF is working away - the front room will be my workshop ... :cool:

The only bike things have done lately is a few frame mods to the yo whilst watching the little one in the garden :-(

As you probably know I lost access to a lathe some time ago :-( but I still feel the need to design and manufacture simple custom parts that do the job better and look better than the OE versions – satisfying my OCD at the same time … :oops: :LOL:

Although I don’t use it much any more, I still have my design software and Rampage / Intrincycle comes to my rescue turning my paper designs into reality for the things I cant do any more i.e. lathe, milling work and anodising (I have always had to out source anodising) … :cool:

Can you guess what they are yet ? :

The counter bores are for Ti washers and the small diameter goes inside the XTR brake arm bore, the stainless thin walled washers are OE from the XTR arms :

They provide the largest clamping area possible :

Whilst maintaining a nice matching radius at the extremities of their adjustment :

The back piece was designed to match the front :

Whilst providing clearance for the parallel push linkage and the small bore fits inside the arm to provide support / location :

I managed to find a twin to the first brace I sourced :

I reckon they are a much neater / better solution compared to the standard hardware :

Compare the difference in the clamped area and the potential damage that the smaller clamp could cause to a softer ally or carbon booster.

I am really happy with the result :cool:

Latest posts

Back