My Stumpy abomination

Frank West

Dirt Disciple
sidepostscenic01zx8.jpg

Hey, bought this off ebay a week ago for cheapness related reasons. And whaddyaknow, it actually rides pretty decent now that it's had a bit of a messing with! Spent all day yesterday re-introducing her to singletrack and the only thing to fall off was me (first time SPD-er..).

frontpost02wv5.jpg

I'm the idiot who stuck a 100mm fork from 2003 on a 1996 80mm frame, but not the one who did the ghastly yellow spray job or airbrushed stars. Of course I wanted to whine about the paint so the pictures went ahead and made it look awesome. S-Works decals also not my idea and something of an annoyance, to be honest.

topboulder01kz4.jpg

Look upon my flaming chili turd embroidered saddle and despair. Yeah it was me who broke the front brake lever too, oops.

Speshspecs:

Frame: 1996 Stumpjumper M2 Comp FS
Fork: 2003 Marzocchi MX Pro 100mm
Der: Deore XT 8sp rear, LX front
Cranks: Roox
Post and Stem: Syncros
Wheels: Vuelta Airline3 rims connected to STX-RC hubs via Rodi Inox
Shifters: SRAM Plasma
Tires: Ritchey Z-Max Megabyte 1.9
Brakes: Magura HS22

:shock:

Woahh! That's one hell of a colourful bike...

Some good stuff on there though.

:)

How much did you get it for?

There is some nice kit on that :cool: This I'll be an interesting one, whats your plans?

I kinda like the paint :D

Flat bar please, and it'll be ok. Different, in a good way ;)

Max P":20r01r77 said:
:shock:

How much did you get it for?

€175. It had been sitting in some guy's garage as a half-done project since 1999 or so. Not quite a steal, but not half bad either considering how few parts need swapping.

kaiser":20r01r77 said:
There is some nice kit on that :cool: This I'll be an interesting one, whats your plans?

Kind of gave up on the ratrod look after I took a spraycan to the included (too short!) rigid fork and it turned out horrible. Currently pondering what color powdercoat would go alright with the red shifters, fluor yellow brakes and blue rims. Off-white might be cool. So would raw unpolished aluminum!

Pickle":20r01r77 said:
I kinda like the paint :D

Flat bar please, and it'll be ok. Different, in a good way ;)

The paint is in pretty bad shape though it doesn't show as much in the pictures. The top-tube is more or less pre-sanded down.

Hacked off and installed some flats this very morning! The risers combined with the slightly too-long fork made the handling pretty laid-back, I'm hoping this puts it in the sweet-spot.

Pickle":20r01r77 said:
Oh, forgot to say, AWESOME trails in the background! Where is that! :shock:

Haha, I'm afraid that much like my paintjob the pictures made it look better than it actually is. They're the dunes of Kijkduin, and you're not allowed to go offroad at all. It was also swarming with hikers, kids, roadies, people pushing prams and suicidal dogs, so you couldn't even go fast on the paved paths.

Although, the paving is getting pretty bad and a couple sandpits had formed right on the asphalt. When it's not as busy it might not be a bad place to play around considering it's about 15 miles closer to where I live than the nearest proper trails.

Back