Retro MTB recomendation £100 budget

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I have a neighbour who has a Roadbike but I have convinced him that he wants a Retro Mountain Bike for some off road action with the rest of the dodgy knees 40 + crew :D

So rather than spend loads on a new one, he wants a decent out-of-the-box bike. He is not really interested in upgrading lots of parts just something that he can wheel out of the garage and ride.

Something along the lines of a Marin, bikes that punch above their weight.

Budget around £100, non suspension frame.

Recommendations or bikes being sold ( 6ft odd chap) in that budget welcomed :D

Is either you or your m8 on ebay? ...if so, might be worth setting up an advanced local search and saving it with email alerts on. You never know whats on sale round the corner / down the road.

p.s. 6ft odd? ...he will prob be looking for 18-20" frame then? ...hope he finds a sturdy steed soon ;)

an endless choice from ebay to be honest but the risk is you are never quite sure what you are getting in terms of condition.

if you want someting ready go out of the box you are probably better off hanging about the for sale section here

plenty of mid range stuff in nick going for that sort of cash

as it goes i would be happy to post this 531 Peugeot to him for a ton

but might be a touch small if hes a lot over 6ft

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=264875

Fair point i guess, but if i was interested in something on ebay that i saw locally, i would most prob go round there and give it close inspection :mrgreen:

I can offer him my loud n pretty pub bike, all working and complete but needs grips (if i can find a pair I'll include them)

It's chipped to buggery but the paint looks fresh (i.e. it's bright) but at 19" with a stem and a half it's a fit for 6'.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=265997

£75 delivered uk (£25 of that is post)

good hunting
And

p.s. have a look at a 19" clockwork also in tange infinity and compare and contrast ;)

Just keep your eyes peeled on Ebay, there are still bargains to be had. I picked this viewtopic.php?f=21&t=262756 up for £36, I know it's not strictly retro and granted I've made a few changes, but I reckon it owes me about £85 all in. For that sort of price your friend will have a bike that's eminently suitable for both on and off road and upgradeable in future should he wish.

Thanks for the info chaps, I am keeping my eyes on ebay just to see whats what.

I am desperate to uphold the benefits of Retro MTB's, I have been banging on to him about them for years.

widowmaker":1y2uobq0 said:
I am desperate to uphold the benefits of Retro MTB's, I have been banging on to him about them for years.
Tell your m8 that once he's had his 1st trail buzz, he'll never look back. Soon he'll be drooling over a paul mech in his sleep :LOL:

Wylie":3dr432bu said:
widowmaker":3dr432bu said:
Tell your m8 that once he's had his 1st trail buzz, he'll never look back. Soon he'll be drooling over a paul mech in his sleep :LOL:

I don't know, he does not seem so keen as when we spoke recently :(

Ill work on him :)

The chap has now decided he wants a Marin nothing else I have shown him has tempted him :shock:

So if anyone has a Marin or knows of a Marin going, can be a little battered as long as usable. Ill post up a wanted ad also.

Thanks

Back