Roberts Genesis 1993 - Repaired, repainted & rebuilding!

xxnick1975

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Some of you might of seen the ebay thread for this one

I picked it up last night, and so another story begins

I have titled this build thread Roberts Genesis 199x as a "best guess"

Thats the starting point - hopefully with the power of the collective Retrobike knowledge base we can pin that down more precisely

Whatever it is, it rides nice and is well made, so Im not fussed where it ends up - based on first impressions i really like the frame, so thats the main thing

The seller also bundled in 4 extra tyres and 2 spare front wheels - what a gent

So this is going to be pic heavy....

First - what i bought

Attachments

• full bike 2.jpg
    full bike 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,521
  • full bike.jpg
    full bike.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,521
  • extra stuff.jpg
    extra stuff.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,500
Re: Roberts Genesis 199x

now then lets have a closer look at the frame....

Attachments

• bottom bracket.jpg
    bottom bracket.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,513
  • canti bridge.jpg
    canti bridge.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,513
  • pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,513
  • seat stay.jpg
    seat stay.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,515
  • frame number 2.jpg
    frame number 2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,515
  • frame number.jpg
    frame number.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,515
  • head tube filet 2.jpg
    head tube filet 2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,514
  • head tube filet.jpg
    head tube filet.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,514

Its sporting a right mix of parts - perhaps the best bit is the Rolls Titanio - i assume this means Titanium rails. The metal trim round the back of it is silver not gold/brass! Never seen one like this before

the stem is okay, but i have never heard of the brand...

As for the bars - just comedy - i include a standard set of flats for comparison. Would be even more pronouced compared to a modern set. We did some stupid things back in the day :facepalm:

Other bits are DX/MT60 and more modern LX and STX.

Wheels are mavic rims and modish deore hubs - they are defo not part of my plan for this bike

Attachments

• stem 2.jpg
    stem 2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,507
  • saddle.jpg
    saddle.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,507
  • handlebars 1.jpg
    handlebars 1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,507
  • handlebars 2.jpg
    handlebars 2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,507

So to conclude tonights installment of give us a clue, a couple of low grade pictures (light dying) of what this might look like once i gently tidy her up....

nothing much, just removed the muguards and popped in some period wheels with knobblies on

looks a lot better already

l'd welcome any thoughts on this and what direction the build should go, for now I'm thinking of DX/MT60 with a bit of XT 730 here and there (because thats what i have hanging around!!)

Attachments

• close up 2.jpg
    close up 2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,488
  • close up bike.jpg
    close up bike.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,488

I'm going to hazard a guess at around 1991/2 possibly 93, based solely on the fact that from 1992 onwards, top pull front mechs were available from Shimano and also that my 92 Lloyd, 92 Roberts and 92 Caygill all have similar pulleys. That said, so does my Diabolo and that's supposed to be 94, although it could be earlier.

Regarding the frame number, I would check the steerer tube on the forks, as my White Spider had 355 on the bb and forks which I confirmed with Brian, were not put there by Roberts, so must have been a later addition, possibly by a paint sprayer.

Can you take a good shot of the rear chainstays from above looking down for me.

The handle bar stem was a definite option for Roberts and was advertised as such in the press too (late 93,94), its a Trek System stem, this of course may or may not be anything more than coincidence of course, but given the age and other factors im currently at a loss to suggest anything else.

I would think its been tidied up around the headtube at some point for sure.
I wonder what fork was used as a replacement.

Carl; do you think there is a chance it's had a front ender and a repair to the headtube.

just took some pictures of the chainstays but they aren't clear at all, will try again in the daylight and hopefully it starts to make sense

I think the saddle is dated 94, so maybe a concensus builds - will check it properly

if i get the time, I will get the forks out and see if thats interesting

it does look like the green one in the advert, except for the seat bolt position and seat tube extension

Yep - seller confirmed it had a crash - and the forks were replaced

The brazing around the head tube is not quite as tidy as you might imagine (i'm comparing it to by Yates) - so i think its quite possible it was repaired

Its not bad though, not really rough, just not super slick.

Never seen one in real life but i think Orbit frames used to have "mini fillets" they didn't file down, its sort of like that

Looks good in the last 2 pictures though doesn't it!

It looks great and I think it's much more interesting to have a hand made frame with a bit of history than even the best spec bike bought from a shop new.

Back