Suntour Thumbies - clues for strip down???

Archemist

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Have some XC pro left hand thumbies that wont grip, have some spares but wondered if anyone's a guide to take apart the mech once off the base?

I've searched here and google but could well have missed the unmissable guide :oops:

thanks
And

yes, while I was in the process of making pictures. Somebody posted it up. you need to search harder. try Google...
I would do it it on the mobile

FluffyChicken":2ji2wsnf said:
yes, while I was in the process of making pictures. Somebody posted it up. you need to search harder. try Google...
I would do it it on the mobile

I did indeed - i'D found lots on shimano but little or nothing on suntour until I found this by reading a shinano thread!!

http://euphras.blogspot.de/2011/10/how- ... index.html

WD - the left hand on has lost any friction grip unless tightened so much that it has to be called a "handshifter" :LOL:

cheers
And

Ah, OK, cant help with that sorry - I thought you were refering to them loosing thoer grip on the bars :D

WD :D

Are you sure its the thumbie and not the spring in the front mech?
I had an M739 front mech and XC Pro combination on my Mongoose & the front mech kept shifting on its own.
I found that you can adjust the spring tension on the mech, did this and it worked fine. There is a flat blade slot on the mech pivot which has two positions.You can adjust it on the bike with a stubbie screwdriver.
I read about it in the old MBUK Mountain Bike Maintenance & repair book which i have never binned since i bought it Bitd :)

Gruff":11vfan1f said:
Are you sure its the thumbie and not the spring in the front mech?
I had an M739 front mech and XC Pro combination on my Mongoose & the front mech kept shifting on its own.
I found that you can adjust the spring tension on the mech, did this and it worked fine. There is a flat blade slot on the mech pivot which has two positions.You can adjust it on the bike with a stubbie screwdriver.
I read about it in the old MBUK Mountain Bike Maintenance & repair book which i have never binned since i bought it Bitd :)

Thanks I'll try that - not sure with it being an XC Pro mech too - it worked for a season but now it's granny shifting like you say.
cheers
And

That's the link.
Give it a good clean up either way.
Or could just need a nip up.

The Shimano tension adjustment would have been with your front mechanical instructions or now in the Archive.

Subroutine on the other hand.

Greetings
Had a set lingering in the shed for years, and recently used them for a new build. Flush them with GT-85 or such, and then occasionally use a drop of wet chain lube at the lever base where it's attached to the mount and they will work a treat.
Regards
Carl in Florida

Back