You got a F***ing death wish?

Quite aside from the blame aspects of who is right, and who is wrong, isn't it protocol to ask if someone is okay to start with ? Bikes, cars, other stuff doesn't really matter if you need medical attention.

I can't think of a single scenario where it's appropriate to ask "have you got a f***ing death wish?", let alone when one has just rear-ended a cyclist en-route to a funeral.

I hasten to add, my personal view is that the cyclist was entirely in the right, I ride defensively in pinch points like that, and I applaud him for not responding to the provocation.

Basically, there's f*cknuggets in all walks of life, on all forms of transport, both bike, truck, on foot and car... the simple fact is that with people becoming more and more intolerant if each other due to more and more people, these sorts of incidents will become more frequent

G

I was going to ditch my current camera once my new GoPro arrives, now ive seen this I'm just going to mount it rear facing, there's just too many of these f*ckwits on the roads who don't give a sh1t about cyclists safety.

Andy R":3sca4cvt said:
Not related to this in any way really but the other side of the issue -

On my way back from work yesterday in my van I was driving (slowly and cautiously) up a narrow (single track) tarmac climb and caught up with two road cyclists, a man and a woman, both resplendent in their "MT" (Manx Telecom) team kit. As we were on a long right-hand bend and I couldn't see past, I just considerately sat about 10 metres behind them and waited for better visibility.

The woman, who was at the back, just kept waving me through and shouted "overtake then, if you want!". Thinking that maybe she had better visibility around the bend than me, I crept past her, only to be met with a car coming down the hill......

As I dropped back I said to her (through my open nearside window) that was the very reason I hadn't overtaken them earlier. I just got given the finger and told to "F**k off".
I was (and still am, to be honest) bloody infuriated. I put up with a lot of things but I won't usually tolerate blatant (and unfounded) rudeness and abuse. And although I was, for a moment, tempted to pull in 100 metres up the hill, stop her and ask her what her f**king problem was, I realised that I'd just have to suck it up,ignore it and put it down to just yet another gobby woman.

They always seem to be mid 30's/40 ish too, for some reason.

That happens to me at least a half dozen times a week. There seems to be a spate of militant roadies this year. You sit back to allow them safety and they take it as some sort of insult that you won't follow their directions to overtake, often on blind bends or summits.

Often we are sat behind for several minutes before an opportunity arrives for a safe pass. Would it hurt to lift a hand up to acknowledge some consideration?

Can't remotely see anything to blame the guy for - you can see from his head movements that he's quite clearly checking traffic. As he said himself he indicated (presumably a hand signal but you can't see from the head cam) to turn right and was in the middle of the road. Best guess is that the driver of the car was busy looking at something other than the road, looked up at the last minute and was travelling too fast and was too close to do anything other than hit him.

You do have to take what he says slightly with a pinch of salt, even if only to be utterly fair to the idiots in the car, because he may just have been saying things for the camera. The loud repeated 'if you don't stop it will be sent to the police' and so on. However - even given that - there is no way that if the driver was actually paying attention he should have hit him. Stupid f**kers.

raleighrider21":34mi39fb said:
xerxes":34mi39fb said:
some drivers are just stupid - this is one that happened to me when i was riding my carrera - read the discription on the video.
http://youtu.be/uyA01Gjo7iE

I had exactly the same happen to be a few weeks back, the driver couldn't have not seen me, it was at night and I have very, very bright lights. It wasn't dangerous, I had plenty of time to slow and go behind her, as you did with the truck, but it was just downright rude and inconsiderate and I'm fairly certain that she wouldn't have pulled out if I was in a car. It was purely because I was on a bicycle and in her mind, didn't count.

it happens all the time to me, usually i just go behind and carry on, but this guy (out of view of camera) after he pulled out stuck his middle finger up at me out his window, tbh if i was on my motorbike and he did that i would of pulled infront of him, got off and had a right go at him, but he probably wouldnt of if i was on the motorbike.

Guessing you were cycling about 10mph. If I was approaching on a motorbike I would have had the anchors on as soon as I saw the junction. Once the van appears you could anticipate he may not see you as there is foliage obscuring the view. That is an issue for the local roads department to address.

This forces the driver to advance more than normal to take an observation, and at that point I would be down to 20 or so and would prepare to stop, as he has his nose out.

He pulled out and shouldn't have, but it is fairly much the cut and thrust of day to day riding.

i was going that slow on that ride because of issues i was having with my gears,i would of been riding on the path but i felt it would be safer to ride on the road, usually i average 20-25mph on that particular stretch. he nudged forward a bit and made clear eye contact with me, local council have been notified about that junctions view being obstructed because of the foliage but simply say it has nothing to do with us its upto the propertys owner to adress that issue. i know its what happens day to day the only reason i posted this video was because of the way he acted off camera.

I am just looking from the perspective of a motorcyclist and experienced road cyclist. (Something I now avoid.)

I think with the increasing number of videos being posted of riding 'incidents' it is as well to critique each other's riding as well as chiming in with agreement of how we are all being wronged by drivers.

Just assume you have not been seen and always expect vehicles to pull out on you. If anything, avoid eye contact, and never assume it means your position is going to be respected.

It has seen me through thirty plus years of riding motorbikes and cycles.

Oh, and don't go round the back of vehicles if you can help it. I myself have grabbed reverse by accident when pulling off. Don't want to be a couple of feet behind a vehicle negotiating a junction.

As far as the original incident in this thread goes, I can tell the cyclist adopted a defensive position at the point they did, but perhaps they could have done so earlier as they were approaching a narrowing in the lane. Easy for me to say.

The video evidence would lead me to believe a charge of some kind could have been levelled at the occupants of the vehicle, such as threatening behaviour.

Back