AMP B3 and Disc brakes

bluedazzler

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
is anyone here riding their B3 with disc brakes? whats the best calipers / rotors, combo for this bike and frame? I'm totally new to discs so this is a bit of an unknown area for me... I understand hydraulics are best and also ISO mount, but what else ? are shimano ones good? whats a nice, functional, lightweight set? XTR? Hope? a typical ride for me would be 2-5 hours XC. cheers

You will need an adapter to run modern discs. Amp/rock shocks brakes fit the standard frame mounts. I've some if these myself but have never used them as I've never completed the build sadly.

I've been running Hope Mono Mini pros with 165mm rotors on mine with a home made plate adapter on the front. Don't run anything larger, as the original AMP/Rock Shox discs were even smaller, 150mm (?):

dcc2b12319c99532655a99db165f5341_zpsac4785cf.jpg

Not specially elegant, but does the job just fine.

Not so easy on the rear, as you'll need an adapter with a dog-leg in it to keep the effective face the same, but there are a few sets of drawings etc knocking around the site along with front adapters.

I'll dig up some more pictures of mine.

All the best,

thanks for the replies. I am also on the hunt for IS adapters, I've posted about them in this thread, but not had much luck...

I was going to try and get my adapters made, and maybe some extra ones, but figured I would need all the other kit first.. was planning to run 160 mm rotors on mine, hoping that will be ok

did you say there are drawings for the adapeters on the site? do you know where?

I think B4 was the user who made some (B-4? something like that). I have a set if you want to use them as a template.

ishaw":2rhy5ykd said:
I think B4 was the user who made some (B-4? something like that). I have a set if you want to use them as a template.

Did you get some in the end then Ian?

ishaw":bujgh6lq said:

if they're for post mount that would be great, thank you

bluedazzler":1d7dcikf said:
ishaw":1d7dcikf said:

if they're for post mount that would be great, thank you
Not post mount I'm afraid, iso.

Back