Spraying steel frame

The original transfers, are they also baked on or are they applied later when the enamelling has been baked?

bugloss":3r2k4hr2 said:
The original transfers, are they also baked on or are they applied later when the enamelling has been baked?

If its a professional job the decals are applied after the top coat of paint has been baked. This is followed by a gloss, scratch resistant laquer top coat to seal the decals and protect the paint.

Not cheap :)

Are you sure? The original decals on my 1980 & 1982 Eddy Merckx aren't under lacquer and neither are the ones on my 1983 Olmo. I guess it must vary with manufacturer.

What I'm really interested in is wether the decals are baked on with the stove enamel on a De Rosa Super Prestige. If they are they would be oven safe if I was to get, lets say, the chain stay and bottom bracket
shell re-enamelled.

There will be some kind of clear coat over the decals - often it is so thin you can still see the raised edge of the transfer making it look like it's on the surface.

Especially, older frames use waterslide transfers (think Airfix models) with a clear coat on top. I would have thought this would be the case for a 1980's frame. Cut vinyl didn't appear until the 1990's for decent frames.

I really wouldn't chance any decal in a stove enamel - it's 200C or so that they use to cure it.

Hmmm interesting.
I can definitely pick the edge of the decals off, however the Basso Loto (waterside) are under varnish.

Mercian reckon the decals go in the stove.

From their website.

"Early type are at risk of break up on application due to age. New vinyl transfers that we haven't supplied (or sourced from a manufacturer that we don't know ) can be made in cheaper / poor quality vinyl that is unsuitable for stoving and will shrink in the oven ruining a nice renovation. Please check if unsure."

I'm totally flummoxed.

I guess its good to find all this out before I start :roll:

Back