Chainset - XT M770
Bashguard - Hope (on order)
Rear Mech - XT M770
Front Mech - XT M770
Cassette - XT M770
Shifters - XT M770
Chain - SRAM PC951

Brakes - XTR M975
Disc Rotors - Alligator Windcutter 160/160 (rear on order)

Saddle - Charge Spoon
Seatpost - On One Twelfty
Seatclamp - Hope
Stem - Crank Brothers Cobalt 2
Handlebars - Crank Brother Cobalt 2
Grips - Clarks

Weight - ~25lb with pedals

I only took it out for a quick spin around the field last night, whilst my Steak Pie was cooking :)

It feels very well put together - it doesn't rattle, squeak, creak or knock.

The M975 brakes are a little odd in that both calipers are for 160 rotors ( says so on the caliper itself ;) ) and yet both sets of pads seem to sit quite far out on the rotors themselves. The IS mounts on the frame and fork are both standard 160 mounts and both rotors are 160s, so I'm a bit puzzled. Power-wise, it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference (this is my first experience with XTR discs and they're GOOOOOD!!!).

It almost looks as if I can get away with sticking 165 rotors on, but I won't. The calipers, mounts and rotors are obviously all the correct size so it must just be the way that the calipers are designed.

I don't think I'll use the granny ring enough to warrant the extra shifter, cable and chainring so I might just run it with the 32T chainring upfront once the Hope bashguard arrives. The chain is already nice and tight (the mech is at about 95% full stretch with the chain on middle ring/large sprocket) - so there shouldn't be any issues with it coming off.

Glad to hear that it rides well. Shimano brakes are ace, I really like them. The only downside is that you can't buy spares for them in the same way you can Hope and Hayes. Luckily all of mine have been fine.

If you're going to run it single ring is get a wee top guide unless running a clutch mech. I think Hope do a tiny little bump stop thing that works well with their bash ring.

Barneyballbags":nkzuxh8n said:
Mindmap3":nkzuxh8n said:
I think Hope do a tiny little bump stop thing that works well with their bash ring.

They do, and I've just been on CRC to find out how much it is.

What an absolute rip off!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... -prod90477

Ouch! I'm sure there will be someone else who does something similar. That certainly makes the 'proper' top guides look like good value.

I'm more amazed that you were able to get the new CRC website to work!

I've seen some people add a further bash ring in the granny position, which is quite neat, with your chain nestling in the slot between the two. I can't remember the system name/manufacturer, but it's some play on words of bash ring and sandwich I think.

Regards

Back