Educate me on the wonders of 29ers!

jimplops":slk1g4a6 said:
Very nice, I've said all along that 29ers are for taller folks, they look right whereas a large 26er just looks like a bed frame.

Totally agree with the "gate" syndrome with large framed 26er...and with my longer arms feels like bike for the larger rider and my broad shoulders makes the larger width of bars seem more natural...

Joe of Loath":1vca4lx8 said:
Very nice. RE the brakes, ride up and down the road a few times with the brakes on. If that doesn't help, clean the rotors and sand the pads down a little.

Yeah going to try and bed in the brakes tomorrow...When out in the woods at the back of my house today, I came down a steep descent and applied the brakes and I heard the distant bark of a dog responding to my brake howl lol

Chopper1192":1ydl6u32 said:
It'll happen. I work in th industry, if only peripherally, and I'm still not seeing many about, even among those spending big moolah. I'm not the only person I know who's dipped the toe, been unconvinced and then gone back.

Does anyone remember back in the 90s when everyone was predicting hardtails would be obsolete?

highlandsflyer":1527wz8b said:
Chopper1192":1527wz8b said:
It'll happen. I work in th industry, if only peripherally, and I'm still not seeing many about, even among those spending big moolah. I'm not the only person I know who's dipped the toe, been unconvinced and then gone back.

Does anyone remember back in the 90s when everyone was predicting hardtails would be obsolete?

Ha yeah...and on the recent 2013 Mountain Mayhem race I would say that at least 60% if not more were 29ers...

The industry will always jump on the latest means to sell new bikes. The manufacturing base in the East is vast, if they can produce frames for the peanuts they do I can't see why they would stop producing anything that has a place in the market. It is not as if it is uneconomical to continue producing 'less popular' frame sizes, after all the margin on mass produced frames is massive.

highlandsflyer":1ex0j5fm said:
The industry will always jump on the latest means to sell new bikes. The manufacturing base in the East is vast, if they can produce frames for the peanuts they do I can't see why they would stop producing anything that has a place in the market. It is not as if it is uneconomical to continue producing 'less popular' frame sizes, after all the margin on mass produced frames is massive.

Well hopefully the 29er "fad" will last a few years if not more...Despite any hype it suits me and my size but may not be for everyone...

Back