does everyone on here ride with a helmet?

I've worn helmets for all my adult life for most stuff - motorcycling, horse-riding, snowboarding and biking.
The only helmet I've ever worn mainly because of the risk from cars (as well as because it's de law) is for motorcycling. The horse-riding helmet is because of riding a big daft animal and the snowboarding helmet because getting it wrong and hitting mountain at speed can be pretty detrimental to your average conscious state.
I'd be stupid to think my cycle helmet would save me from a 4x4 doing 40mph down the middle of a local lane. But I can be as stupid as any horse and have often ended up chucking myself off the bike in spectacular fashion.
Recently, I was riding alongside Andy and just jinked (without thinking) to avoid a pot-hole. I clashed handlebars with Andy, bringing us both off - him onto the track and me into the ditch where I head-butted a tree stump. :facepalm:
Wearing/not wearing a helmet is my choice - I wouldn't dictate to another adult what they should/should not do.
However, if you are wearing a helmet that gives you a headache then it's probable you have the wrong size lid or you have it incorrectly adjusted. Or you might just need to try a different make.
In motorcycling circles it used to be known as having either an Arai head or a Shoei head - most people found one or the other was a better fit.
Eee, don't I sound old.
Oh, I am old. :?

apologies if I was getting perilously close to being in nagging mode just there.... :roll:

when riding to the shops or on a short jaunt then no...When I go off for an off road jaunt on my own definately and when racing dictates! I never found a comfy lid for my giant heeeed but now have a Specialized one thats just fine...depends who you speak to, some people on here have lost loved ones due to lack of bike helmet....

I agree with sputulun. It took me years to find a helmet that fits om my strangely long bonce. I still don't wear it because it grips front and back and gives me a corker of a headache whenever I wear it.

Chute55uk":hq17wc8n said:
the way I see it not wearing one is like going hill/mountain walking in camo gear, you just wouldn't. :D

We do this all the time. You wouldn't get very near the wildlife otherwise.

raleighrider21":20zkatfs said:
when i get headaches they stay for weeks and on the odd occasion they get so bad i cant get out of bed in the morning wich then means i cant go to the kennels and do the daily morning feed and walk and i cant go to college and i cant go to work.

Time to see your GP. This is not normal, and certainly not down to wearing a helmet that doesn't fit properly.

highlandsflyer":rl3mawsw said:
raleighrider21":rl3mawsw said:
when i get headaches they stay for weeks and on the odd occasion they get so bad i cant get out of bed in the morning wich then means i cant go to the kennels and do the daily morning feed and walk and i cant go to college and i cant go to work.

Time to see your GP. This is not normal, and certainly not down to wearing a helmet that doesn't fit properly.
GP already knows about this, something happened when i was 10 and ive been like it since. its not just like that when i wear a helmet that doesnt fit properly its in general. so wearing a helmet that doesnt fit right is something i cant really take the risk in doing hence why i would like to find a helmet that does fit properly.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back