Raleigh Banana 753

TimColnago

Dirt Disciple
I recently brought Nicks Raleigh banana 753 off E bay. February’s bike of the month. I noted Nick sells quite a bit of gear on E bay and would not hesitate to recommend him as a seller.

It really is a thing of beauty.

My wife's a photography buff so I'm going to get her take some proper photos and try to down load them on this site.

I’m not sure what to do with it really. It’s in perfect condition all NOS components and almost seems a shame to use it.

It seems to have quite unusual frame geometry. The seat stays are surprisingly long, almost like a touring frame yet the fork rake is short and the front wheel is tucked right in under the down tube. The wheelbase seems very short despite the long stays. It is very different from the off the peg Raleigh 531C frame I used to own and won the East Mids Junior RR race on in 1990. I’m quite intrigued how the Banana will ride but so far have resisted the temptation!

Does any one any ideas what season it might have been used? It is Stamped DR1 88 but I’m not sure if it was built in 88 for that season or late 88 for 89. I seem to recall that Raleigh Banana ran for two or three seasons. I think they used Dura Ace components to start with and then swapped to Campag C Record so if this is right then it would have been used for the 88 season. However it might have been the other way round?

Can any one can throw any light on the provenance of this frame and Team Raleigh banana?

I've tried to attach a photo but its not letting me. Computer is a MAC Camera is Cannon G12. To many pixies or something!

Regards,

Tim

TimColnago":375e8ggd said:
I’m not sure what to do with it really. It’s in perfect condition all NOS components and almost seems a shame to use it.

It seems to have quite unusual frame geometry.

Ride it matey thats what they were made for and you'll be the envy of every 'cycling mate'...Even I'm envy of you owning this machine.

Regarding the unusual frame geometry! Wouldn't this frame been made for the actual rider ?

I am now the owner of this bike having bought it from Tim.
The bike will definitely get ridden on nice days.
Karl

Maraner161":1wiwsdpn said:
I am now the owner of this bike having bought it from Tim.
The bike will definitely get ridden on nice days.
Karl
Nice one mate, lovely bike with real provenance.

I have a TdF team bike - they are made to be ridden (although mine too only gets out on nice dry days!)

Done a few rides on this bike now and does indeed ride well. I went to my LBS who I have been using since 1984 and they loved it.
Really is a head turning bike.
I may ask if they want to put it on display over winter rather than it sitting in the loft.

Back