does everyone on here ride with a helmet?

I dunno if some people realise just how painful a poorly fitted helmet can be.. before I found one that fitted (it only took 15 years..), I used to swear that if helmets ever became compulsory, I'd rather stop riding bikes. :|

The helmets grip the head like a vice at the front and back, leaving indentations, yet they have massive empty gaps at the sides, which can't do much for the protection factor. On some of them, the adjustment straps dig into the lumpy area at the bottom of the back of the skull like a knife. It's not just a mild headache caused by wearing one for a bit - the pain is immediate, and it's torture. :(

All of the helmets sold by Decathlon are of this type, and I've been to quite a few bike shops where all their helmets are also like this. I'm not sure what Halfords are like these days - they used to be one of the culprits. I hope raleighrider21 has some luck with them!

I do wonder how many people have had the same experience as me, and either put up with the pain or don't wear a helmet. I can't be the only one with a weird head! :roll:

spatuluk":1eek4lsf said:
I dunno if some people realise just how painful a poorly fitted helmet can be.. before I found one that fitted (it only took 15 years..), I used to swear that if helmets ever became compulsory, I'd rather stop riding bikes. :|

The helmets grip the head like a vice at the front and back, leaving indentations, yet they have massive empty gaps at the sides, which can't do much for the protection factor. On some of them, the adjustment straps dig into the lumpy area at the bottom of the back of the skull like a knife. It's not just a mild headache caused by wearing one for a bit - the pain is immediate, and it's torture. :(

All of the helmets sold by Decathlon are of this type, and I've been to quite a few bike shops where all their helmets are also like this. I'm not sure what Halfords are like these days - they used to be one of the culprits. I hope raleighrider21 has some luck with them!

I do wonder how many people have had the same experience as me, and either put up with the pain or don't wear a helmet. I can't be the only one with a weird head! :roll:
i work part time at halfords and i guess for some theyre ok, but i hate using them for almost everything apart from when im buying paint (only time i ever use my employee discount), had no luck with finding a helmet thats any good there, finally someone who knows what im saying here ! + when i get headaches they stay for weeks and on the odd occasion they get so bad i cant get out of bed in the morning wich then means i cant go to the kennels and do the daily morning feed and walk and i cant go to college and i cant go to work.

Jeez, any helmet worth the name has had some kind of "dial a fit" internal support band. It's been near on 2 decades since I wore a polystyrene pith pot that sits straight against the noggin.

For some reason they just seem to perch on the top of my head.

LL

I used to work with a guy who's head was shaped like that ans he inevitably earned the nickname of Conehead or Coney.

Was the helmet the main reason he chose to become a police officer then? :p

broadway":zcw5bubf said:
yakboy":zcw5bubf said:
It's funny this thread pops up on many outdoor forums I frequent (snowboarding, kayaking and biking)..and I can't believe people still debate the choice..

Sometimes I feel those who will not wear helmets are selfish
1. To their families who may end up visiting a vegetable in hospital for the rest of their lives
2. To the state who will have to pay for this persons freedom of choice

After having worked in maxillofacial surgery and seen my fair share of facial and head injuries, helmets will not always save you but boy you'd be a fool not to consider wearing one.

Here endeth the sermon

I assume you also also wear a helmet in a car and while walking as:

Sometimes I feel those who will not wear helmets are selfish
1. To their families who may end up visiting a vegetable in hospital for the rest of their lives
2. To the state who will have to pay for this persons freedom of choice"

I am not likely to hit the deck at 30mph whilst walking and have airbags and side curtains in my car.

I know life is risk but having seen the consequences of serious facial and head injury I tend to get on my high horse a bit...sorry if this offends.
With regards to risk in life there are pragmatic things to do to reduce risk and helmets do save lives.

I suppose I should just shut up and let people choose , I have pointed out to people on trails that a helmets would be a good idea but always nicely and without high handedness. This is always out of genuine concern and not some perverse holier than though attitude.

Back