does everyone on here ride with a helmet?

Chopper1192":1z9l0tof said:
I always carry my John Rambo signature edition army knife with every survival aid known to man in the handle.
fixed that for you. because thats all a para needs. kill with eat then eat the body. no string necessary :)

raleighrider21":2s9w3p1h said:
know what your saying, and i get why youre saying it, ill have a look at some and see if i can finally find one that doesnt give me a bloody headache
Yup good idea. Any headache you get through wearing one is much preferable to the headache you might get from not wearing one.

My missus crashed the other week and hit her head on the road. Her helmet cracked, and she had a headache for a day or two. Dread to think what would have happened if she wasn't wearing it.

As the little lady has quite a poor sense of anticipation, it wasn't the first time she'd broken a helmet. She does wonders for Giro's profits ;).

Regards

It's funny this thread pops up on many outdoor forums I frequent (snowboarding, kayaking and biking)..and I can't believe people still debate the choice..

Sometimes I feel those who will not wear helmets are selfish
1. To their families who may end up visiting a vegetable in hospital for the rest of their lives
2. To the state who will have to pay for this persons freedom of choice

After having worked in maxillofacial surgery and seen my fair share of facial and head injuries, helmets will not always save you but boy you'd be a fool not to consider wearing one.

Here endeth the sermon

Always. At the very least they'll save you from some very nasty road rash on your scalp. I've broken a helmet in half by faceplanting on a trail (Protip: Those features on the blue trails? They aren't jumps, and don't try to jump them, however much you think you can. There might not be any landing). An inch long stone ended up embedded half an inch into the helmet just above my right temple, which really would have put a downer on things had it not had a big thick layer of polystyrene to slow it down!

Still ended up with a concussion, but at least I was lucid enough to ride back to my friend's car.

I've tried several, I don't like them so I usually just wear a cap. I always wear gloves and protective glasses.

yakboy":qynbyazs said:
It's funny this thread pops up on many outdoor forums I frequent (snowboarding, kayaking and biking)..and I can't believe people still debate the choice..

1. To their families who may end up visiting a vegetable in hospital for the rest of their lives

After having worked in maxillofacial surgery and seen my fair share of facial and head injuries, helmets will not always save you but boy you'd be a fool not to consider wearing one.

Here endeth the sermon

Here begenith mine. I predict very soon this thread will turn nasty. They always do. There is another thread running to about a thousand pages in the Off Topic forum that actually has some research from both sides of the debate.

I take it that as this post is in the Retro Tractor and Nasty Mud forum the OP means offroad? In that case as far as I'm concerned, yes. Unless it is a bimble along the canal towpath I'll wear one.

In fact I have just got a new one. I still don't like the thing but it is around fifteen and a half times better to wear than the old one.

On the road where I do most riding now? Apart from on the fixed, no, not very often. I'm not convinced it will do much, (see other thread) and, having read the instructions that came with my recent purchase I'm even less sure.

To be honest, if the law changed tomorrow, I would probably stop riding. Until the law changes it is my choice. You take risks every day. I go out in the sun (although never without Factor 15), I drive a lot of miles on the motorway, I eat my wife's cooking (occasionally). All these things and many more I consider more dangerous potentially than going for a ride on my bike.

If the OP is looking for a lid, you could do a lot worse than the Specialized S3. And that is from a disliker of the things.

Iwasgoodonce":346gabrv said:
yakboy":346gabrv said:

Here endeth the sermon

Here begenith mine. I predict very soon this thread will turn nasty. They always do. There is another thread running to about a thousand pages in the Off Topic forum that actually has some research from both sides of the debate.

I take it that as this post is in the Retro Tractor and Nasty Mud forum the OP means offroad? In that case as far as I'm concerned, yes. Unless it is a bimble along the canal towpath I'll wear one.

In fact I have just got a new one. I still don't like the thing but it is around fifteen and a half times better to wear than the old one.

On the road where I do most riding now? Apart from on the fixed, no, not very often. I'm not convinced it will do much, (see other thread) and, having read the instructions that came with my recent purchase I'm even less sure.

To be honest, if the law changed tomorrow, I would probably stop riding. Until the law changes it is my choice. You take risks every day. I go out in the sun (although never without Factor 15), I drive a lot of miles on the motorway, I eat my wife's cooking (occasionally). All these things and many more I consider more dangerous potentially than going for a ride on my bike.

If the OP is looking for a lid, you could do a lot worse than the Specialized S3. And that is from a disliker of the things.

i meant generally, i always wear one down the trails (i have a monster energy full face helmet that i got off ebay for £25) i just never really bothered wearing one on the road, im going to look at a few and if i find one i like then ill wear one if not if people dont like the fact that i wont wear helmet then they know where to shove their opinions lol
life is about taking risks and tbh im happy to take the risk. i will consider wearing one if i get one that i like etc but till then. nah. if i wanted to wear a helmet on the road badly id just put my full face on with my goggles. but it honestly doesnt bother me much.

yakboy":3lkcxw0p said:

Here endeth the sermon

I assume you also also wear a helmet in a car and while walking as:

2. To the state who will have to pay for this persons freedom of choice"

Back