Kona U'Hu 17" 1997

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-KONA-UHU ... 19e0408cdc

Once again, check for cracks and dents. A mixture of old and new (more original than new) but if it's sound, then you have the basis of a decent machine. The BIN is just a touch tad steep so it might be worth a few checky punts under it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The Ballistic coil spring shock replacing the original Fox Alps air shock would be quite a serious downgrade in any case, but it looks as though it's too long for the frame. He says it's a size 17, but the top tube angle is wrong for a size 17. Also you can see that the bottom bracket is higher than the hubs, whereas the catalogue picture shows a positive bb drop as you would expect. I imagine this must have a bad effect on the handling.

I can't see this being worth anywhere near the asking price.

Now I'm looking at the shock, is it me or have they set the spring up waaaaaay to much? The retainer or whatever you want to call it is dialled down a hell of a lot. Were they trying to make it more rigid and would that explain the odd looking geometry and the tyres they fitted.

Also, on the last picture there's quite a clear, straight "line" across the tube linking at the mech plate. I hope that's just muck and not what I think it is...

Back