Retrobike motivation

gunner

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Just wondering what gets people into the retrobike scene.

For me it's mainly being able to afford all the kit I drooled over in MBUK 20yrs ago.

There's also probably a bit of enjoyment from knowing that you can't just walk into Evans with your 'cycle to work' voucher and buy a '94 MTRAX. Gives a little bit of exclusivity... :)

Thoughts....?

I'm an old miserable git that doesn't like new bikes.

al.

An obsession with exercise, and I'm not built for running so it gives me my cardio fix, and old bike add interest to the brew. Already done 300 press ups and a session of barbell rows (pyramid sets to 120kg) before the rest of the house was even awake, and I now got a retro bike ride to look forward to later, albeit towing a child trailer with child for a good leg work out ;)

al":32tlnn5k said:
I'm an old miserable git that doesn't like new bikes.
That^

Old bikes are more elegant, cheaper, and tinkerable. Modern bikes all look like BSOs to me. The more expensive they are, the more they seem to look like a 2000-ish Apollo. :p

in hindsight, I should of bought then what I have now instead of some flashy nonsense, but now it feels even better to have to search for the parts instead of just selecting from the shiny display case :)

well I just bought an old bike because:

1. I realised I would need to spunk £500+ to get a new bike with decent components. Instead I got a nice old saracen, all XT for £130.
2. I'm hoping its less nickable- I know for a fact a blingy new Specialized would last all of about 5 seconds locked up.
3. Less chance of getting wallet raped at a bike shop when hydraulic brakes or whatever start pissing everywhere (had that with cars and went back to an old merc I can bodge myself)

Don't care if it weighs a ton because its for exercise anyway..

RETRO 'cause pretty much everyone has a soft spot for the past in one way or another, it's a natural human trait.
BIKE 'cause it really is mankind's greatest invention. Simple, beautiful, useful, quiet, affordable, enjoyable, social, fast, exciting, sustainable, zero emissions and good for you!

If mankind wasn't so obsessed with laziness, this website would have more subscribers than Farcebook.

You reach an age when the simple things are more fun and attractive and less complex, for me despite owning modern bikes they just didnt interest me, found them without character, lacked interaction and feedback. Spurned on by now being able to afford and acomplish the things that years ago I could only dream of provides all the motivation I need, finish that off with a good helping of trailbashing on your Retro Steed and I am complete, and with a big smile on my face :D

Simples :)

Latest posts

Back