MacRetro chat and rides thread

now looking at avoiding the disappointment/hassles of loch lomond by getting the train to crianlarich, then WHW to fort william, then onto Inverness on the Great Glen Way. GGW looks / sounds uncomplicated, does anyone have 1st hand experience?

Done the great glen way over 2 easyish days with plenty of beer and stops in 2009, 10 - 10.30 am start corpach to invermoriston, hour for lunch at Laggan locks, afternoon tea at fort augustus, there by 7pm. Day 2 to Inverness castle, early lunch at drumnadrochit, afternoon tea at Rory's Cafe (chickens try to nick your food), arrived in inverness at around 5 I think, one seriously unfit 24 stoner with us that meant we took turns walking with him up all the climbs (makes a change from it being me). Prebooked shuttle service back to Corpach after a fantastic burger and pint at McNabs.

some pics here.... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Podgy-Pe ... 42?fref=ts

Any interest in a zigzag's local trails ride towards the end of the month, start of September? Here's what you can expect:

Yes, there's a fair bit of climbing (majority of it at the start, first 6 miles has 300m of climbing until we reach the not so aptly named California). Some nice rights of way track, including the fast 2 mile downhill California Super Highway, then some decent singletrack at Muiravonside, plus the option of heading up and over the Avon Aqueduct and down on to the Avon Heritage Trail to Linlithgow for a lunch stop (plenty of pubs or cafes). On the homeward leg, there's an easy spin along the canal for about 3-4 miles, then up to Callendar park to finish on some nice singletrack and a play on the swings. Only about 2-3 miles total of (quiet) road miles spread over 3 link up sections. Expect nettle stings and bramble cuts, some of it is pretty overgrown right now.

Ride will be something like this (NOTE: does not include detour to Linlithgow):

http://www.strava.com/activities/72665668

Goes without saying I will, try to, be there. Finally we can check out ZZ's home trails, I knew he'd find some eventually :cool:

Mind you need to be done and back to Falkirk by 4pm on Saturday 31st August as I've a gig to go to in Edinburgh at 7pm and as a result cant do 1st September. Following weekend 7th/8th currently clear, too much social life due to Lisa :roll:

Back