Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

The History Man":3hvb8ngw said:
You must love her very much. ;)

Nice job. Is it marzipan?

I'm the only one who likes marzipan.
It is mainly royal icing.
And yes, she is a very special wife & mother.

1116263_10151776292717778_1279601537_o.jpg
Can some kind soul ID this for me?

apache":3i8x6mee said:
1116263_10151776292717778_1279601537_o.jpg
Can some kind soul ID this for me?

A Laurel bush of some kind, leaves look too thick and shiny to be a Bay. Can be cut down and composted, but not burned as the fumes from Laurels are toxic.

Thanks, I thought it may be some kind of Laurel. Does any wildlife eat the berries?

Wasn't planning on cutting it down - it's a nice corner to the garden. I will need to prune it back though, as it's gone a bit nuts this summer.

apache":1q8erl8j said:
Thanks, I thought it may be some kind of Laurel. Does any wildlife eat the berries?

Wasn't planning on cutting it down - it's a nice corner to the garden. I will need to prune it back though, as it's gone a bit nuts this summer.

It does form a good dense barrier plant – often used by default by municipals for boundary and screening hedging. But it's toxic and poisonous to life.

Care needs to be taken when handling prunings, chippings, leaves and berries. The leaves and berries contain cyanolipids which can release cyanide and benzaldehyde. An almond smell is often associated with it. Never burn Laurel prunings as the smoke fumes are toxic.

This may explain why you don't see much wildlife in it.

Never confuse the leaves with Bay or Myrtle.

Back