does everyone on here ride with a helmet?

honestly. on my local trails (which is the only place I can ride at the moment) no I dont, thats partly due to the fact I dont have one :oops:

but dont worry, Im planning on doing a lot more road riding as soon as Ive got a bike sorted for it and am looking into getting a helmet. just too many a-holes on the road nowadays to take the risk. would rather look like a plonker and save my head than splatter my thinker over the tarmac. they dont seem to be expensive so its not a case of cant afford it, just what I grew up with, its gonna be weird when I do get a helmet but its something i want to get used to because Im planning a lot of longer trips when Im able.

round here you always see a mixture of people who do and those who don't. nearly all of the roadies wear helmets but the commuters on their mountain bikes hardly ever. on the trails usually dont see many with helmets.

My worry with trails is that are remote and infrequently visited, and if one is laying there with one's brains leaking out ones ears then one could be waiting an awful long time before the proverbial dog walker happens past and discovers one, a factor that doesn't really reckon for the roads around Chopper Towers.

Seriously?
After the last 20pager...? :LOL:

Was talking about this with the Mrs last night actually.
Its a VERY grey area, and basically there is no right or wrong...

My view is that ('scuze the potential for sounding like a H&S boffin :oops: ) the individual should assess the risk and the potential for harm, and does so systematically and evenly each time one throws ones leg over the saddle.

Examples,
Mrs rides to work through traffic (and when I ride with her on my day off) = standard helmet wearing - high risk/high potential harm
I ride to my second job 1000yards at 7am and rarely see a car = i dont wear one - low risk/high potential harm
Me and Mrs ride through park and around the lake in the evening = we dont wear one - low risk/low potential harm
I go out for a lone ride to Clayton Vale or similar with friends = I do wear one - medium risk/high potential harm

What I do disagree with, is that while some people quite rightly argue that the standard crash test for helmet design and safety is somewhat lacking (vertical drop instead of in motion/rotational forces etc).... to then dismiss and refuse beligerantly* to wear a helemet on those grounds, or use the "I put my arms and hands out first" argument is just pain wrong

G

*not directly referencing anyone in particular, either in real life or on RB, just a generally observed attitude

raleighrider21":3kgm2e4y said:
know what your saying, and i get why youre saying it, ill have a look at some and see if i can finally find one that doesnt give me a bloody headache
You might have the same prob I have - a head that's a long oval.

For years, I couldn't find a helmet that fitted, because they either crushed my head, or had too much of a gap at the sides (which made me look like a mushroom - not good!).

After becoming a father, I decided that I should try to protect my own life a bit better, so I had a proper look for a helmet. It turns out that current Specialized helmets tend to be more of an oval shape, so I now wear an Echelon II. No headaches, and it fits the sides perfectly! :D

Go into a proper bike shop that has a proper selection of helmets from different brands (ie: NOT Decathlon), and try a few on - one will probably fit!

Yes, every time. No excuses.

Each to their own of course.

Just my observations but of the 3 proper accidents I've had (2 on the road, 1 off, the formers through no fault of my own, the latter totally my fault) each incident involved my bonce trying to make love with the ground. Yes, the actual injuries were not on my head but I had to replace the lid each time as they were ruined. In other words, the helmet did the job.

All hail the helmet!

spatuluk":1b8tpvsg said:
raleighrider21":1b8tpvsg said:
know what your saying, and i get why youre saying it, ill have a look at some and see if i can finally find one that doesnt give me a bloody headache
You might have the same prob I have - a head that's a long oval.

For years, I couldn't find a helmet that fitted, because they either crushed my head, or had too much of a gap at the sides (which made me look like a mushroom - not good!).

After becoming a father, I decided that I should try to protect my own life a bit better, so I had a proper look for a helmet. It turns out that current Specialized helmets tend to be more of an oval shape, so I now wear an Echelon II. No headaches, and it fits the sides perfectly! :D

Go into a proper bike shop that has a proper selection of helmets from different brands (ie: NOT Decathlon), and try a few on - one will probably fit!

nearest bike shop to me that has a good selection of helmets is 8 miles away ! probably gonna have to run into work later on and see if they got anything (i do a bit of part time at halfrauds) (yes even i dont like them)

I don't know why eveyone says they look like a t*t wearing a cycle helmet??

If there were less emphasis placed on such a superficial attribute as 'looks' the world would be a much nicer place!

As for the subject of the OP, I have three to choose from but I don't always wear any of them...

...Roof Boxer and Bell Star 1 and 2 in my m'cycle days :cool:

I like wearing a helmet and I wouldn't feel comfortable riding without one.

I don't get the argument about easy local trails etc. Even on easy local trails, there are overhanging branches, encroaching brambles at head height etc that my helmet tends to come into contact with. Not things that would kill me admittedly, but if I didn't have a helmet on I would often pick up cuts and scrapes that I can well do without.

Keeps the sun off my head too, which has been vital recently.

Yes for both Trails and Road, and even on dedicated Cycle Paths. I've been a voluntary responder with the Ambulance Service for 7 years and patched up too many Head Injuries from non wearing helmet riders. My wife who works full time for the Ambulance Service can also comment on the amount of injuries related to lack of head protection. Younger riders seem to be the issue, as its so uncool to wear protection, that is until they fall off and suddenly they wisen up to it, we've all been there. Thankfully the older cyclists (Myself included) seem to be more accepting of wearing helmets, despite our reckless youth. However there still seems to be a 'It will never happen to me attitude' from a few riders on the trails.

Attachments

• Wear Your Helmet Ad.jpg
    Wear Your Helmet Ad.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 194
Back