Shimano SLR vs Standard/Normal on some old catilever brakes?

mattrixdesign2

Retro Guru
I have inherited my dads old Raleigh - Off Road - Peak. Just going through each part, removing them, cleaning them, regreasing, refitting. It will be used as a wet/winter commute and possible some winter training.

I was messing with the Deore LX Cantis, I noticed there are two holes in the cantis to relocate the internal spring, at the time I was just memorising which hole was being used before I dismantled it. It then occured to me there are some markings on the body and a pointer to choose either "SLR" or "NORMAL", as it happens all were set to SLR. What does SLR proivde over NORMAL?

Any ideas for good replacements for the current awful 4 finger plastic brake levers? I would have to change the shifters too, I would like Deore Thumbies but they seem expensive 2nd hand... would any higher level shimano of that period (early 90s) be better, say DX, XT (XTR?).

Re: Shimano SLR vs Standard/Normal on some old catilever bra

IIRC SLR levers had a return spring, which means the canti spring can be less tight as it doesn't have to pull the cable and lever back all on its own.

Thumbies are costly because they work well and don't break. The 'Deore ' thumbies were used on LX and DX. XT are the same inside, but have a black top cap and aluminium bar clamp (whose thread will have stripped by now). There are no XTR thumbies as they were superseded by rapidfires by then.

Thanks - for clearing that up.

Ref Thumbies I know there was Deore and XT. What I meant to ask, is it worth going for DX/XT/XTR underbar brake/shifter combo, I just don't like the LX levers.

Just to confirm that SLR was spring in the levers and improved lined cabling. So the SLR position in the canti is for these levers. Use the other position if you levers do not have the return spring or if your cabling is poor ;-)
It can also be used if your springs are well used and just not doing their job in SLR setting.

Under bars are Rapid fire+
I personally didn't like the XT/XTR at that time, the cheaper LX and below had better paddles really.
I went to Gripshift and didn't look back. I do now use some much later XT 750 from this century. Even 737/739 levers while they work better have a horrible feel.

But if you want to go for some. Get STX-RC/Alivio on their own versions. Work well, fell fine and streets ahead of the early 90's shifters. Then get some nice brake levers.

you'll find plenty of the old instruction manuals in the archive on this site. Including the SLR brake setup if I remember correctly

Although I don't really like the shifters, they will suffice, its just the plastic leaves just look and feel pap.

BITD I swapped my 400LX ones over for Deore Thumbies and some sort 2 finger leavers, Dia Compe something or other, they were great. Would love that combo again.

EDIT: How is it best to service the shifters? I don't want to dismantle them if possible.

Shimano stuff cannot be dismantled, shifting tends to go off as the internal grease hardens. Give them a really good flush through with WD40.

Back