Fat Chance 1992 Yo Eddy Rebuild

Better to mod it and use it, rather than sit in a shed collecting dust. It is a hobby after all, and none of us need to justify the spend (much ;)) - I don't have a bike restoration business plan ;).

Regards

WD Pro":26szvd4g said:
Also consider that this is a hobby and something I get great pleasure from. Whilst handing over £1500 to a frame builder would get me a very nice frame, (from my point of view) it would lack the satisfaction and pride you get from restoring / repairing something old with a bit of history (with the bonus of spreading the costs over a period of time).

WD :D

that's enough of an answer for me, if you have written off the frame buying cost then i can see the financial advantage, if you'd paid yo eddy money for this yo eddy then maybe not.

either way it will be nice bike :)

hydorah":fhzqdwyj said:
Catalogue/period correct builds are great, they really are, but they don't all have to be like that. No justifications or excuses required, it's basic freedom

YES!!

WD, looking forward to your build!

These arrived today :D

They need a bit of cleaning, but I am sure they will come up OK ... ;-)

I haven't had octalink before and I was a bit worried about the splines :

So I asked here : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=267122 and it seems they are OK :D

The rings will be replaced so these will be up for sale soon if anyones interested ?

The GF was out last night so I started on the crank - whilst watching Coyote Ugly ;-)

I did the worst one first so I am pretty sure it's going to come up really well :cool:

Please don't expect things to move quickly ... :LOL:

I have to finish the Airborne first, but that's getting close now, I finished the blasting yesterday so it pretty much just needs bolting together :cool:

I might have got chance to do a bit this morning, but we had a party last night and a 1:00am bed time with a four year old who had stayed hyper and been good all night :LOL: Waking her (or the GF as I was the driver !) by getting the bits out of the spare room wouldn't have gone down to well ... :LOL:

I paint stripped the crank instead :

DSC08586_zpsc58fabf0.jpg

They are actually dark grey under the dark grey paint (maybe from heat treatment ?) - the pedal end is completely stripped in that photo.

Anyone know how they made hollow tech cranks ?

You can't see on the photo but they have a witness of a patch in the back of the arm about 120 x 15mm and the small hole filled with resin (or similar). You can only see the hole on my 970's but I haven't stripped those to know if there is a patch :LOL:

I did take this photo for photo of the month - this months topic is 'The Enemy' ... :LOL: :

DSC08579_zps4ea9ce74.jpg

Cranks are hollow forged I think, very stiff and reasonably light.

The coating is a super durable anodizing, took me forever to sand, then buff my set out, especially on the inside of the arms. They were quite rough.

Well worth the effort though!

Attachments

• DT.jpg
    DT.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 874
Back