does everyone on here ride with a helmet?

As the History Man and certain other members appear to have done the sensible thing and gone to bed(?) it falls to me to say...

...I'm off to polish my helmet :p

Why wouldn't you? In different incidents I went through a front and rear windscreen not wearing a helmet, if I'd been a couple if inches the other way when I broke the front windscreen of a Volvo with my head, I'd have hit the metal pillar and I probably would not have walked away. After this, its a helmet all the way, even on small rides. I came off my bike once doing about 5 miles an hour on a slippery road, bike just went from under me and I was riding in a straight line (icy conditions), my head/helmet hit the Tarmac and I genuinely saw stars. After recovering I continued on to work and on taking my helmet off, discovered it had cracked/split due to the relatively minor force of the impact, and it was a £90 giro. Again, what skull damage would I have suffered if I'd not had it on?

Its not worth the risk imho, it could save your life and worth every penny, despite the fact no one can seem to make one that looks good on your head.

its not really a case of one that looks good on my head tbh
i dont wear one for the fact i cant find one that fits properly and is comfortable to wear
i know one day id probably wished i wore one but ive never really worn one apart from trails
would if i found one that fitted - was comfortable and wasnt over the top as far as pricing is concerned.

Relative to not wearing a helmet, my motorbike helmets are uncomfortable.

Until the thought enters your head, what would happen if I dumped on that roundabout?

I wear a flip helmet, and as soon as I am up past 15 odd mph I shut it down.

Helmets are not for comfort, they are for protection.

I always ride with a helmet, on or off-road.

I've had a few off's where the helmet saved my melon. Once (on the road) I hit the pavement so hard I literally saw stars, broke my helmet and sunglasses, head was okay for the most part. There has been countless incidences off-road where my helmet also saved me. A few weeks ago a riding friend of mine had a bad off, broke 3 ribs, tore his rotater cuff, and deeply dented his helmet. Proving once again how important helmets are.

Of course it's a free world (mostly), just because I would never ride without i'm not dictating that others should. But if you joined me for a ride i'd certainaly insist on one.

another motorbiker then :)
i got 5 different helmets and i always wear my £30 GMAC over my arai tbh
was looking at flip helmets but the fear of me sliding down the road on my chin and the lid flipping up whilst sliding scares me, probably wouldnt happen but still scares me.

i know what your saying about theyre not for comfort but for protection but theres no way i will wear a helmet for 1hour + thats going to give me a splitting headache because its uncomfortable

Yes -always..

Partly because you really can't tell *when* you will need it, and because I have kids - and that's two reasons:

1) responsibility !
2) setting an example for the little ones - I expect them to wear a helmet, so I lead by example!

Mind you, the kids have proper helmets (trek/specialized)

I think it is good that helmets are pretty much part of the uniform these days.

raleighrider21":1ydqptnb said:
im interested to see how many people do
i got into a argument with a bloke on a carrera road bike the other day, there he was in all his lycra, high vis jacket, helmet, sunglasses etc and he comes to the side of me and tells me to get a proper bike, start wearing a helmet and said hed push me off next time he saw me to teach me a lesson, argued a bit and left him in the dust.
i never really wear a helmet, i ride on road, through the local park, over golf courses, canal towpath and only time ill wear one is on hard trails.

What a prick, why was he going to "push you off"? if you don't mind my asking.

Re. helmets, yes always it's become habit now, except in the park with my son. But I ride mainly in London where there are too many bonkers car users on the roads.

riddim-track":32f9q5j9 said:
raleighrider21":32f9q5j9 said:
im interested to see how many people do
i got into a argument with a bloke on a carrera road bike the other day, there he was in all his lycra, high vis jacket, helmet, sunglasses etc and he comes to the side of me and tells me to get a proper bike, start wearing a helmet and said hed push me off next time he saw me to teach me a lesson, argued a bit and left him in the dust.
i never really wear a helmet, i ride on road, through the local park, over golf courses, canal towpath and only time ill wear one is on hard trails.

What a prick, why was he going to "push you off"? if you don't mind my asking.

Re. helmets, yes always it's become habit now, except in the park with my son. But I ride mainly in London where there are too many bonkers car users on the roads.
probably because he had the shame of a 18 yr old on a old raleigh overtaking him and keeping up with cars when he was constantly getting overtook that or he was saying he was going to push me off to teach me to wear a helmet, either one.

Jono_blackheart":1o9hvtkt said:
Yes -always..

Partly because you really can't tell *when* you will need it, and because I have kids - and that's two reasons:

1) responsibility !
2) setting an example for the little ones - I expect them to wear a helmet, so I lead by example!

Mind you, the kids have proper helmets (trek/specialized)

I think it is good that helmets are pretty much part of the uniform these days.

I concur with this, the reason I don't do a helmet with my son yet is he's still on a fixed 8" wheel trike. Once he has a bike he start wearing the rather fetching yellow Giro helmet we bought him.

I got knocked off by a driver the week of my wedding (which got postponed) and broke my leg badly, I was wearing a helmet but they still don't make you immortal. My son was only 2 months old at the time and it really gave food for thought. Getting squashed or similar before seeing your kids grow up doesn't bare thinking about and the thought of it is quite troubling, enough to make you consider where and you ride quite seriously.

Back