Fads

Chopper1192":2i5tfh3j said:
Bitd, at first the trend in the 80's was for frames on the large side as folk often didn't appreciate the sizing differences betwixt road bikes and mtb s. This didn't last long and people generally were quick the revert to an appropriate frame size.

While there will always be the odd exception, the trend for scaffold pole lengths of seat tube exposed is a modern retro phenomenon. The business with 'compact frames' is a chimaera, else bars would also be raised and extended a commensurate amount, but almost always aren't. Look through old photos and mags and the altitude-sickness-inducing levels of exposed seat post we see today are largely absent. Always chuckle when a bike set up thus cracks at the rear of the top tube and the clueless rider scratches their head in surprise, like the Giant Anthem currently on eBay.

I was intending to post a pic of my Scott BiTD with typically 'elevated' saddle, but Photobucket is so slow on the PlayBook I've lost the will to live! :facepalm:

Suffice to say my brother's favourite quip was 'Why don't you just buy a bike that's the right size?'

He was obviously ahead if his time... :LOL:

Chopper1192":3076m654 said:
Bikes that actually fit the rider - a brief fad that has long since fallen by the wayside.

the astonishingly expensive bike-fitting session is the "in thing" at the mo

cutting your bars down to 20" to save 10g

Been there ... :facepalm: .

Those stupid curved pads that strapped round the top and seat tube so you could carry your bike on your shoulder. They dissappeared fairly sharpish!

Powerstraps
Bula hats
Coloured tyres
Axo boots
Allsop Softride
E-stay hardtails

GuyWood":b0tbb62f said:
cutting your bars down to 20" to save 10g

Been there ... :facepalm: .

Those stupid curved pads that strapped round the top and seat tube so you could carry your bike on your shoulder. They dissappeared fairly sharpish!

...only because they don't fit sloping top tubes :?

Still have one in the shed; it's a bag as well...

Using a short-cage road rear mech on your MTB (guilty)
Anything made by Cosmic Trail
Loooooong stems, 0deg rise

Tranz X accessories from Hellfrauds.

Raleigh Burners.

Cheap cycle computers that require the rider to spend hours aligning magnets with the North Star, and a degree in quantum mechanics to be ale to derive the 4 digit number required to program the wheel size.

Back