Campag Veloce 8spd cassette jumping - NOW RESOLVED

Re: Campag Veloce 8spd cassette jumping - smallest 2 cogs

Hillwalker":34nzpa5h said:
I've had this too, and I run 8 speed Campag on my Denton road bike, and a new cassette and chain together fixed this instantly.

Sticking me neck out here, but if you are using the original Campag 8 speed setup (top left in this link) http://branfordbike.com/articles/casset ... s-pg60.htm and not the later Exa Drive setup, then in theory you should be able to remove the cassette and reverse the largest 2 cogs so they are 'inside out'. Not the best technical fix I know, and it probably won't do anything for the smoothness of shifting, but if it makes a difference then you are closer to confirming the cause of the problem.

Just a thought...

Hi Hillwalker

Thanks for this suggestion - I was getting excited about it for a minute! Sadly, it is an exadrive freehub, with the slightly thinner single spline for correct cog placement - I suspect that this means that they can't simply be spun around.

However, found another Campag wheel with a 9 speed cassette on it lurking in the back of the garage - shall give this a try and swap it over, using the 8 speed spacers from the current set-up which is giving me the jip. The 9 speed cassette looks to be in much better condition.

andymuza":5an3ld3z said:
I would have said worn chain (stretched), worn cogs or both.

If the chain is worn or stretched you may well see gaps between the links and the teeth of your chain wheel.
If that looks ok check for the same on the rear cogs you are having the issues with.
If you can see gaps between the links and the cogs teeth then the chances are the cogs are worn.

Also check wheel alignment.
I had this sort of issue on my MTB and mine was due to the wheel not being aligned correctly.

Thanks for this suggestion - wheel is perfect, sits perfectly in the seat/chainstays and the chainline almost exactly matches my Dura Ace bike (which runs really sweetly). Chain has been measured and known to be in excellent, almost unused condition with no stretch.

rjsdavis":386sxqfc said:
However, found another Campag wheel with a 9 speed cassette on it lurking in the back of the garage - shall give this a try and swap it over, using the 8 speed spacers from the current set-up which is giving me the jip. The 9 speed cassette looks to be in much better condition.

Bugger - the cogs are completely incompatible!

Anyone got a really good used Campag 8 Speed cassette knocking around that they don't want? 12-21 / 12-23 would be decent ratios....

Stick the 9 speed wheel in: loose a sprocket and use 8 speed spacers, you'll also need a spacer behind the largest sprocket.

ScillySuffolk":27a5snby said:
Stick the 9 speed wheel in: loose a sprocket and use 8 speed spacers, you'll also need a spacer behind the largest sprocket.

Thanks, I might try this if a decent replacement cassette doesn't pop along reasonably soon...

Anyone know if an old Shimano 105 8 speed freehub/cassette is roughly compatible with 8 speed Ergo shifters by any chance? I assumed not!

I think 7 speed Shimano works with 8 speed Campag: google "shimergo"; CTC has good info.

Had a rummage and I've got a 12-23 pre-Exa Drive cassette you can have: PM me if interested.

EDIT
Just re-read thread and see you have Exa Drive.

Thanks for the reply. Had been hoping someone out there just have tried sticking 8 speed Shimano hubs into 8 speed Campag gear arrangements. Would just save me a lot of experimentation time if they have...

Thanks for having a rummage. What a shame!

I've got a brand new 8 speed Campagnolo Veloce exa-drive 8 speed cassette looking for a nice caring home.
13-14-15-16-17-19-21

bugloss":wqhi8nrn said:
I've got a brand new 8 speed Campagnolo Veloce exa-drive 8 speed cassette looking for a nice caring home.
13-14-15-16-17-19-21

Thanks very much for posting a reply, but I've already accepted an earlier offer from another user. Just hadn't got around to updating the Subject title (which I have done now).

Thanks anyway!

Just to bring closure to this thread - a brand new cassette arrived and was fitted - problem solved. All gears now working perfectly and not a jump in sight on any of the cogs.

Thanks for all of the replies received.

Back