Ok lets try something

marker

Retro Guru
My retro bike is currently built up with mostly modern kit and I am looking at making it "period correct".
It's a 1994 Merlin Titanium.
I will go in search of the parts one at a time but we need to decide on what to build it with.
All parts should be NOS
This is where you guys come in.

What should we start with?

Note this may take a while as funds and time are not unlimmited but should be fun with a very special bike at the end of it. :)

Component wise, I would go M900 XTR as you're not getting better.
I would fit gripshift SRT600 or 800 if they where out that year, I cannot remember, as I think they are better than that years Rapidfire+.
Brakes Lever would be cut down M900 with matching Canti's.

Cranks, RF Turbine, XTR m900, or your choice of preference in style, 110 or CD up to you.

Rims would be Araya 395 or Mavic top end of that year. 32 rear, 28 front just to make the search harder.
ALU nipples Wheelsmith, Ritchey Logic or if you must DT Spokes.

Hubs, to much choice. Go for the colour and style you like.

Bars, stem, seat post.. Colour, style is personal preference. Cannot go wrong with Syncros, Control Tech a bit of Ritchey/Answer bars... Or even Kalloy/Tioga/ etc for that matter, but the brand just isn't cool enough ;-)

Headset and forks depends what you want. 1994 Mag SL or Marz XC if you prefer air/oil over the Elastomer forks of the time.

Etc but me hands are getting cold and I need a coffe

Full XT - don't want to look like you're trying too hard... ;)
Mavic rims on XT or hope hubs
Pace RC35s
Flite Ti
USE seat post
X-lite bar ends
Onza Ules

Sounds like fun already...

I'd go period 7 speed thumby xt........black ritchey fork.......a nod to the elitist in us all with black flite and hyperlites on perhaps a t-bone stem........let the frame do all the shouting........mavic 321's and a blast of autosol on silver spokes.......

......I'm strangely aroused....... :facepalm:

I'm thinking full XT9 as well. Until it was realigned within the range a couple of gears ago XTR was a racing groupset which stood alone, not technically above XT. Unless your frame was built for racing then XT9 maintains the period ethos you seek.

Sounds like it's gonna be a tasty project.

Chopper1192":3mmhgpg1 said:
Unless your frame was built for racing then XT9 maintains the period ethos you seek.

Disagree. XT9 is nowhere near "period" for a 1994 frame.

8 speed XT with Compact Drive M737 is the way to go - new that year.

If Canti's give you the shivers a light stretch to 1996's M739 and V's is permitted, or alternatively magura's or an early disc brake.

Back