hydration pack info required

Chute55uk

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
I bought a camelbak last year but have never used it pretty much because I cant be arsed with all the faffing but I really want to use it so do I need to do anything and if I do, what? regards first cleaning it, what tools to use, steritabs? I know nothing about it other than its not been used.
any info would be well received.
or shall I just stick with my bottle?

Use it and after wards, rinse throught and then fill with boiling water and a milton tablet. Hang dry and you will get no mould works for me no sweat. Let the milton sit for 10 minutes and dont forget to let some milton-water go through the hose and mouthpiece too!

My mate just washes it out with water when he finishes a ride - although he puts lager in it for when he is riding :LOL: :LOL:

I'd go careful with boiling water; I've had a bladder split putting warm squash in it for a winter ride.

I'd milton it once, then wash it with water after every use, and allow it to dry properly. Milton if in doubt.

All i do with mine is rinse it out thoroughly and store it in the freezer until its needed....simples.

Another Milton user here; take the mouthpiece off and soak it separately to make sure you kill all the bacteria...

...the fancier the faddy crap you put in it the more important it is that you thoroughly clean it!

Chute55uk":19g7zx2d said:
milton? the baby bottle things? never thought of that. thanks whatleymeister.
That's the stuff! ~£1.50 for a box of about 24 tablets. I use one after each time I use the bladder so the cost per use, as it were, is pennies.

As pointed out, I was a bit misleading when I said boiling water - I was speaking figuratively! Hot water from the tap once it has warmed up is perfect.

I only put water into mine so there is no nutrient (sugar) for micronasties to grow.

now we're on the subject of hydration packs, can someone point me to a waist style hydrations bag aka bumbag - i am sure i have seen this bug gogling & ebay is not showing up anything

Back