Torque wrench

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i'd like to get hold of a decently priced - decent quality torque wrench - i've got myself a motorbike and am doing the servicing on it.
usually i take the approach of - 'just do it up as tight as i remember it was before i took it apart'.
but with my motorbike, i think i'm less likely to get away with that attitude.
So, torque wrenches, i know they operate at different ranges, but in terms of price and quality (i wont be using it intensly, just for the occasional strip down service), i'd like some help finding the right one.

i see ones on ebay (Draper) for around £30. range: 30-210Nm

but just wondering what else there is out there that comes recommended for around the same price (or if there are ones of considerbly higher quality for not much more)...

also [this may be a silly question],but, can you use torque wrenches with extensions?

any help appreciated

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
just remember a torque wrench is a tool for measuring, not doing up. you can use extensions as long as they are solid and not a wobble bar /universal joint or anything else that has/could have play in it.
I teach my learners to nip it up with a normal ratchet and measure it with the torque. of course in the real world you just use the torque. other 'guides' in no particular order:
don't store it wound (it goes out of calibration)
Dont wait for the click and then think that wasn't very tight so i will go a bit more just to be sure (seen this a lot) there could be 2 foot of leverage being applied to a small nut, it wont feel very tight.
I use a halfords proffesional one at home, it seems to do the job
get it calibrated every year (yea right)

I have two sizes of the Halfords pro versions (and we have another in work).

I like them, cant find anything to complain about.

As above, leave them backed off and dont use them as a general ratchet. The Halfords ones come in a tube that can be sealed easily with a short length of tape. I store mine (sealed) in the garage with a large pouch of silica gel in each.

Other than the print rubbing off the calibration stickers, they both look as new and they are probaly around eight years old now :D

It's a nice feeling to build something and know that its not over stressed and not likely to come loose - since having them I use them wherever possible (even ftting cleats to shoes etc) :D

WD :D

Back